Fighting urges constantly

Hayyyleyyy

Hayyyleyyy

How long does it go on for? The fighting of urges to hurt yourself?

Im hurting so bad!

I have gone 4 weeks with only 1 sh incident and no 'putting myself in dangerous positions' (trying to word it to go with forum rules)

I haven't seen the police for 4 weeks and only spoken to them twice (I have a police sgt who I talk to when I feel unsafe)

For the past few days I have had urges to go to my dangerous place and to self harm... i have been fighting it but not sure how much longer I can fight it :sorry:

I'v e had urges to do other things that aren;t even me, something I never do... Im just at a loss... do the urges ever leave or do we just learn to ignore them?

clockworkmonkey

clockworkmonkey

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Think you lern to live with them rather than ignorecthem.also my antiphycotic i think might add to my scarey thoughts all the time.they can do that.

Hayyyleyyy

Hayyyleyyy

Think you lern to live with them rather than ignorecthem.also my antiphycotic i think might add to my scarey thoughts all the time.they can do that.
I just want them to go away :( I am just coming off my anti psychotics as I got fed up with the effectthey were having on me.

clockworkmonkey

clockworkmonkey

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Try and stay as safe as you can.Heres a good place for a chat and info although were not drs.But people that are actually having these feelings and not lernt from a book (no offence) But have had to live with stuff day in day out.And nights normaly worse for most too.

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I think the further you are away from the last time you did it the easier it gets, you might still have urges occasionally but are less likely to act on them.

4 weeks is really good, well done you, but early days yet.

stay safe. xx

keepsafe

keepsafe

I get strong urges that I am having to fight constantly too, I hope in time the urges lessen for both of us ((((hugs)))). Soon I shall be coming off my anti psych or trying to anyway, maybe the urges are stronger because of this? Keep going you are doing so well.

Ks
xxxx

Hayyyleyyy

Hayyyleyyy

I get strong urges that I am having to fight constantly too, I hope in time the urges lessen for both of us ((((hugs)))). Soon I shall be coming off my anti psych or trying to anyway, maybe the urges are stronger because of this? Keep going you are doing so well.

Ks
xxxx
I came off my anti psych as I missed the 'manic' episode, but they haven't come back with stopping the meds :( Not sure if my urges have been worse since then.
Hope your okay :)

keepsafe

keepsafe

Hi I'm not doing too bad, well you know.

Sorry you missed the manic highs although they are dangerous for me, don;t know about you?

I hope you are going to be safe
KS
xxxxxxxxx

Hayyyleyyy

Hayyyleyyy

Hi I'm not doing too bad, well you know.

Sorry you missed the manic highs although they are dangerous for me, don;t know about you?

I hope you are going to be safe
KS
xxxxxxxxx
They can be dangerous for me; especially the crashes but I prefer them to the constant lows.

I am feeling extreamly triggered, went to a village fete and there was a police lady there; who has picked me up for self harming in public before.. made me want to self harm and run again.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Just wanted to say well done for the last 4 weeks. It's really good you've managed not to have any incidents.

I do think that you learn to ignore the urges. For me, I suppose I really think about what the consequences would be if I were to act on them. I imagine the worst case scenario and it's enough to put me off.

I hope that you can manage to keep yourself safe, and i'm sorry you're feeling so low. :hug1: x

Hayyyleyyy

Hayyyleyyy

Just wanted to say well done for the last 4 weeks. It's really good you've managed not to have any incidents.

I do think that you learn to ignore the urges. For me, I suppose I really think about what the consequences would be if I were to act on them. I imagine the worst case scenario and it's enough to put me off.

I hope that you can manage to keep yourself safe, and i'm sorry you're feeling so low. :hug1: x

I too think what would happen if I followed the urges; police, hospital, 136 section... Just not worth it :/

clockworkmonkey

clockworkmonkey

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hello.Hope your feeling abit better today.Best wishesCM

M

MissSteak

I hope you are able to catch your impulses to self harm before you actually do, if you can catch the impulse then you can try to enter a line of thinking with reason and rationality before you react in a harmful way. Any stretch of time between self-injuring and not doing so is a good thing, and it can improve the longer you refrain. I'm nowhere near where I'd like to be when it comes to harming myself if I get an overwhelming wave of despair or grief, but I have managed to not self harm in a different way for 3 years now, which had always been a resort to calm myself down when I felt aggressive enough to hurt other people. I hope that you see it's all about taking the steps you're able to at the moment, even if it's just holding back an extra minute or two before acting on your thoughts. Every little bit will eventually add up to the whole, but you have to be patient with yourself, be gentle, and give it a fair amount of time, there is no instant resolution for this.
To finish with, be proud of yourself, allow yourself to have a good feeling about your improvement, don't compare yourself to others and just try to think in terms of progress, not necessarily full goals achieved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hayyyleyyy

Hayyyleyyy

I hope you are able to catch your impulses to self harm before you actually do, if you can catch the impulse then you can try to enter a line of thinking with reason and rationality before you react in a harmful way. Any stretch of time between self-injuring and not doing so is a good thing, and it can improve the longer you refrain. I'm nowhere near where I'd like to be when it comes to harming myself if I get an overwhelming wave of despair or grief, but I have managed to not self harm in a different way for 3 years now, which had always been a resort to calm myself down when I felt aggressive enough to hurt other people. I hope that you see it's all about taking the steps you're able to at the moment, even if it's just holding back an extra minute or two before acting on your thoughts. Every little bit will eventually add up to the whole, but you have to be patient with yourself, be gentle, and give it a fair amount of time, there is no instant resolution for this.
To finish with, be proud of yourself, allow yourself to have a good feeling about your improvement, don't compare yourself to others and just try to think in terms of progress, not necessarily full goals achieved.
Thanks for your post :) My CPN also says every minute I hold off is another minute Im not self harming and is a plus!
I am a little proud of what I have done so far, just want to urges to leave me alone :(