• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Fighting off depression tips/suggestions

Faith198

Faith198

To all that deal with depression, what advice or tips do you recommend? I know the key is to force yourself, it seems I can force myself to do one or two things, but then I’m done.
I’m in therapy and on medication. I do a lot of self talk and use a checklist. It’s so tough to push against. I feel I’m doing all I can to take care of myself and being completely open with my therapist about it all, but it’s so so hard to be motivated. It’s like it’s there for maybe one day and then I may as well kiss the rest of the week goodbye. I work out and try to eat fairly healthy. Why doesn’t it pay off that I at least try to do good for myself?

I don’t want to live this way forever. My mom has bad depression and it has really affected her life. There’s stuff I wanna do with my life, I’m just lacking the motivation. I’m tired and feeling weighed down, despite me seeming like I’m somewhat positive. I can bring others up but not myself.

sorry for the long post

bpd2020

bpd2020

I am so sorry you are going through this, Faith. You are doing all you can by having therapy and being on medication. In addition to that you say you can force yourself to do one or two things. Do you realise how great that is? When depressed we often cannot even get out of bed so you accomplishing something you want to is so positive.

Depression can vary each day. If on a better day you are able to do something you wish to then be proud of that. Then if another day it is too hard allow yourself the chance to rest. I think putting pressure on ourselves only makes us feel worse and then we end up not praising ourselves for the achievements.

I understand you are feeling overwhelmed and have things you want to do. You are in a different position to your mum as you are getting treatment. The therapy you are having is new but it will go a long way towards helping you.

Faith198

Faith198

I am so sorry you are going through this, Faith. You are doing all you can by having therapy and being on medication. In addition to that you say you can force yourself to do one or two things. Do you realise how great that is? When depressed we often cannot even get out of bed so you accomplishing something you want to is so positive.

Depression can vary each day. If on a better day you are able to do something you wish to then be proud of that. Then if another day it is too hard allow yourself the chance to rest. I think putting pressure on ourselves only makes us feel worse and then we end up not praising ourselves for the achievements.

I understand you are feeling overwhelmed and have things you want to do. You are in a different position to your mum as you are getting treatment. The therapy you are having is new but it will go a long way towards helping you.
I know it’s an accomplishment, which is very nice to realize. There was a point in my life where I couldn’t do anything. I know I’ve come a long way from that but I have no motivation to do my homework and some chores. I worked out and went to work and I have just been sitting on the couch since 😣

bpd2020

bpd2020

As you are feeling low working out must take such a lot of energy so I am not surprised you feel unable to do any thing else. I think you have such a lot going on and you are trying to do everything. Maybe writing a list of what you want to do and narrowing it down to the essentials may be helpful? Please do not blame yourself. Depression zaps motivation and energy.

jajingna

jajingna

Like bpd said...I saw something about making a list of what you want to do. Then rate the difficulty of getting each thing done, like 1 = easy, 2 = medium, 3 = hard, bearing in mind some days you can handle a 2 or a 3, or can change a rating depending on your mood. But sometimes you just wanna do only the easy stuff, and that's the stuff to start with. If you can clear off the "ones" maybe you can try a "two"

Faith198

Faith198

As you are feeling low working out must take such a lot of energy so I am not surprised you feel unable to do any thing else. I think you have such a lot going on and you are trying to do everything. Maybe writing a list of what you want to do and narrowing it down to the essentials may be helpful? Please do not blame yourself. Depression zaps motivation and energy.
Like bpd said...I saw something about making a list of what you want to do. Then rate the difficulty of getting each thing done, like 1 = easy, 2 = medium, 3 = hard, bearing in mind some days you can handle a 2 or a 3, or can change a rating depending on your mood. But sometimes you just wanna do only the easy stuff, and that's the stuff to start with. If you can clear off the "ones" maybe you can try a "two"
I really like both your replies. Brilliant. Narrowing it down might help me a lot tbh. I’m gonna try and test that out

T

treasurebox

Music helps me. Music therapy or listening to good and uplifting songs in youtube makes me feel and think better.

Also doing what I love to do which is writing helps me too. What do you love to do? What are you good at? Is it cooking, baking, gardening, doing arts and crafts? Do it and it will make you happy and even be successful.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
avj2123 Depression Forum 5
B Depression Forum 9
M Depression Forum 1
Amber1964 Depression Forum 2
E Depression Forum 2