fight or flight?

C

cally75

Hi all.
Now everyone goes on about the "fight or flight" response.
That's all well & good but there's a third. And that's to just freeze on the spot.

This is my main problem. Last week I was in town & had a panic. When I panic, my legs either go to jelly or go stiff. Not joking, it took me 20mins to cross a road! I was walking like an 80 year old, little shuffling steps that everyone must notice.

I'm paranoid about falling & hurting myself & people laughing. I dunno where it stems from. I did slip on some ice in a bad winter a few years ago. Maybe that?

Sure there's nothing wrong with my legs but if ground looks wet or slippy, I walk on the road. I know this sounds mad but that's my story. Balance is terrible, I'm always looking for things I can hold onto. What's the answer?

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

Hello buddy, sorry to hear about what happened last week in town. Hmm :scratcheshead: what about footwear that has more grip? That way it reduces your chances of slipping. But I guess it's more down to your mind right? the anxiety and worry that stems from the mind? From my own experience, I would say 99.5% of the time or even higher, you won't slip on a wet pavement but then it does depend on if your walking over something metalic which can cause a slip. Pavement is made out of tarmac right? I think your totally fine on the tarmac stuff, it's just anything else that could increase your chances of slipping?

Kerome

Kerome

You could try some athletics classes or parkour? To learn more about balancing, being resilient, how to cope with falling well and so on. That might help break through the mental block and also teach you some physical skills to help your confidence.

U

UMPALUMPA

Hey Cally, that sounds frightening, worrying about falling so much.

Anxiety can make people very very dizzy and un-balanced it does with me.

Sometimes people can have Anxiety attacks born from Fears, rather than Fear born from Anxiety.

I would imagine that you may find Therapy helpfull to get over the Fear of falling, rather than looking at the Anxiety.

Maybe a Gp could help with Therapy Access.

obviously I am not a Dr just a Forum User so take my advice with a grain of salt lol:p

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

Sis you give great advice like everyone else on here :hug:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Anxiety Forum 5
A Anxiety Forum 9