Feminine Hygeine Products

H

HollyR

So,

I've been reading a book by Sara Pascoe called 'Animal', and it is fantastic. I would highly recommend it. She splits it up into different sections and explains different areas involving us ladies, and one thing that came up was feminine hygiene products and how they single us out for our vaginal health and our odours.

It's rather interesting because it mentions how there are no specific care products for males, no equivalent to FemFresh for men. These advertisements are displayed everywhere telling us that we need a certain product to make our vaginas smell better, when in actual fact, vaginas are a self cleansing organ. I have been in the presence of males with not so great smelling penises, but yet it is never mentioned, and men aren't really teased about it like us women are.

I remember at school having an insult being thrown around about 'smelly fannies', and being referred to as 'fishy fanny'. Not so much me personally, but every girl around experienced it during any sort of argument. That childish response to make us feel embarrassed. It has been drilled into us that our vaginas must always smell like a rose garden when in actual fact, during our menstrual cycle we emit different smells based on what our uterus is doing. Some women have a certain smell when they ovulate, and when on their period, it's perfectly natural. But it's been made into a huge deal over the years, and different posters and adverts have made it into a worldwide insecurity.

These products are so openly pressured onto us, when in actual fact just washing with warm water used to be the way to keep ourselves clean, we don't actually need soaps and deodorants to wash in. They can be quite harmful actually, which is why over the years I have not been able to use soap, and have had to use products which are perfume free. The PH in our vaginas is ever changing, and everything is a disturbance.

I thought I'd share my comments with you guys, and see what you think! I would recommend reading the book though it's very insightful on the struggles of women and how we have subject to sexism and inequality for millennia, how our bodies work and how we should be celebrated everyday. Us women are amazing and the physical changes we go through in life are extraordinary!

Z

Zoe1

I think the worst thing are douches
trying to clean yourself inside
removes protective bacteria
that actually dont smell anyway

same with anti bacterial soaps

:love:

I

iWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH2

Don't use feminine hygiene products. My woman's health care provider told me so. Just gentle soap and light washing is all that's needed. No tampons either! I'm so much healthier down there now that I take care of it right. Just ask that man at the bar. :redface: Plus I read women have stronger immune systems than men and naturally cleaner bodies. It's because of evolution you see. We carry and birth the babies. We give the babies immune system while they are inside us and when we breast feed. Plus men can get u.t.i. and genital infections as well. So please don't think we are dirtier because we aren't. If we were then babies wouldn't be able to survive. They'd die of sickness. Just my 2 cents. :peace::whistle:

pepecat

pepecat

We're naturally...erm.... 'self cleaning', so no, vaginal douches etc are a really bad idea.

Topcat

Topcat

We have a few elderly (and really funny) female customers that come in regularly. One is quite loud and doesn't stop talking. I don't know what they were talking about but obviously trying to remember the name of something and she shouted out "VAGISIL!" and they carried on talking. Me and my boss pissed ourselves laughing.

I remember the jokes when I was a kid too, it does make you self conscious when you're young. I know someone who kept getting bacterial vaginosis from using soap to wash down there, products are not a healthy thing for our lady parts.

I

iWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH2

As if women need another thing to feel insecure and unconfident about. :rolleyes:I wouldn't want my future girl friend to taste like all those chemicals down there! :redface:

H

HollyR

Thank you all for your replies and insights! Can't stress enough how clean we are! We're incredible because our bodies self clean and carry life inside us, it's just insane!

fazza

fazza

I don't want to appear insensitive to a woman's needs but......
Just Google mens personal hygiene products and you will quite a few products available for washing down below.
I don't think it's a matter of sexism in the slightest just a matter of choice.

Also with regards to name calling in school. What about Pizza face, Speccy four eyes, wing nut ears, then as we get older. Pencil dick, the list goes on.

The woman's anatomy is totally alien to men as is men's anatomy to woman. Male genitals do not constantly secreat moisture and lubrication but we do have do deal with the dreaded and horrible cheese (really not trying to be vulgar here)

Bottom line is that there is a product for everything from spot creams to fungal Infection creams. It not sexism it just clever marketing and childhood billings combined to cash in on insecurities.

Shower a day for men and for the ladies....... Well you already know your bodies so I won't even consider telling you what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HollyR

I don't want to appear insensitive to a woman's needs but......
Just Google mens personal hygiene products and you will quite a few products available for washing down below.
I don't think it's a matter of sexism in the slightest just a matter of choice.

Also with regards to name calling in school. What about Pizza face, Speccy four eyes, wing nut ears, then as we get older. Pencil dick, the list goes on.

The woman's anatomy is totally alien to men as is men's anatomy to woman. Male genitals do not constantly secreat moisture and lubrication but we do have do deal with the dreaded and horrible cheese (really not trying to be vulgar here)

Bottom line is that there is a product for everything from spot creams to fungal Infection creams. It not sexism it just clever marketing and childhood billings combined to cash in on insecurities.

Shower a day for men and for the ladies....... Well you already know your bodies so I won't even consider telling you what to do.
No of course I'm not trying to down play the insults that men go through growing up of course, I was mentioning something I read in a book. I do believe that women are still not considered the same as men, and we have a lot of work to do.

I must agree though, our bodies are alien to each other and we won't ever truly understand each other's bodies haha!

fazza

fazza

Couldn't agree more. I do feel though that attitudes are changing. A lot of men now really are not interested in sexism. We have kinda accepted that we are equal. It tends to be the older generations that are clinging to the old views about women in general.

I have 5 boys and a girl. They will be brought up with my views that everybody should have respect for everybody regardless of gender sexuality disability or religious belief.

I don't let misogyny or misandery dictate my life. Life is too short.

H

HollyR

Couldn't agree more. I do feel though that attitudes are changing. A lot of men now really are not interested in sexism. We have kinda accepted that we are equal. It tends to be the older generations that are clinging to the old views about women in general.

I have 5 boys and a girl. They will be brought up with my views that everybody should have respect for everybody regardless of gender sexuality disability or religious belief.

I don't let misogyny or misandery dictate my life. Life is too short.
Couldn't agree more with that to be honest! It's the new generations that we need to teach, as the older generations as you say are still clinging to the narrative that women belong in the kitchen, cooking and cleaning.