• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Feels so sad when I am alone

F

Foxycheese

I don’t understand myself. I feel so sad whenever I am alone. I tried to do things to entertain myself like watching netflix, playing videos and etc but I just lose interest quickly. Also, everytime my boyfriend is out with his friends or having a me time I just can’t stop thinking about what his doing. I respect his own/me time so as much as possible I don’t send him messages while he is out but its really hard deep inside. My brain is starting to be clouded of thoughts that makes me uncomfortable and sad.

I live alone but till now I still havent embrace it being alone. I still don’t know how I will enjoy my own company without feeling sad or lonely. Everytime I’m on the way back to my apartment, Im starting to feel anxious. It’s hard to change the pattern that the brains created. All my friends are busy with their own life and kinda hard to reach out.

F

Foxycheese

Sadly,I dont have a pet but I love dogs so much. Im hesitant to get one coz no one will take care of the dog when Im at work or away.

C

celticlass

I understand and relate to this. I have lived alone for a very long time. Sometimes I am okay with it, sometimes not so much. Part of it is poor mental health, insufficient funds to get my house and garden the way it would be best for me/meet my needs. Also I don't, like you,.have friends who are on their own and want to get together for the evening or whatever. I do have a little dog though and she gives me a lot of affection 🙂 I don't know your situation but there are times in life when as human beings we would give anything for an evening to ourselves! So at the moment to distract myself I am making plans for decoration and improvement of my house and garden. Oh too many things to list 😂 I would like to suggest that you purposely try to play music which uplifts you and helps change your mood. Also, if you do not do already you could maybe take the chance when you are alone to look at beginning yoga practice. Good luck.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

I live alone, fortunately I have two dogs. But, especially during this pandemic, being alone is stressful. Having someone to talk to and share concerns with eases loads. Sure, you can always call someone on the phone but that is not the same as having them there in your view.

My most difficult challenge is that at my age most of my family have already passed-Mom, Dad, brother, sister. Most of the folks I shared experiences with growing up are gone now. That REALLY promotes loneliness, because I know it won't change today, tomorrow or after the pandemic subsides. I only have my wife-and we are separated-and a few nephews and nieces.

I try and focus more on God and try to determine why I'm here and what I was meant to achieve? Surely, just being lonely wasn't why I was placed on this earth? After the pandemic ends as well as my planned retirement next year, I want to do more volunteering and helping people with MH issues and those who are economically challenged. That would help.

C

celticlass

I live alone, fortunately I have two dogs. But, especially during this pandemic, being alone is stressful. Having someone to talk to and share concerns with eases loads. Sure, you can always call someone on the phone but that is not the same as having them there in your view.

My most difficult challenge is that at my age most of my family have already passed-Mom, Dad, brother, sister. Most of the folks I shared experiences with growing up are gone now. That REALLY promotes loneliness, because I know it won't change today, tomorrow or after the pandemic subsides. I only have my wife-and we are separated-and a few nephews and nieces.

I try and focus more on God and try to determine why I'm here and what I was meant to achieve? Surely, just being lonely wasn't why I was placed on this earth? After the pandemic ends as well as my planned retirement next year, I want to do more volunteering and helping people with MH issues and those who are economically challenged. That would help.
Well aren't we meant to turn inwards and question God and the meaning of life as we get a little bit older? That I think is a good thing. At least think about it I mean, before anyone rejects the concept of a Higher Power. So at this stage one of the lessons I have to learn is how to truly look after myself and put self before others in the best possible way. So one of the two bedrooms in my house is going to be turned over to 'my' room. Ha you would think all the rooms are. In their I will have it painted in a nice spiritual colour. I will display my Chakra hand drawn symbols my son made me many years ago. A starving student, he could not afford presents. So he made them to be hung vertically down the wall in the way they occur in the human body. Basically everything spiritual will go in there, a desk too. Room for me to do writing, practice art work, offer Reiki perhaps. I am beyond excited at the prospect. Oh I think God exists in.each one of us 🙂

Empish

Empish

I think you should read "The Power of Now', the concept is identical to mindfulness but has a spiritual angle. It's been one the the most popular/best selling spiritual/personal growth books for the past 20 years. Eckhart Tolle is a very well respected author. If you've heard the word consciousness but aren't quite such what it means, this would be a good place to start. I would say it's one of the 3 most important books I've ever read.

Empish

Empish

And I agree with Celtic lass about the yoga, that has been the single most important thing for helping to overcome anxiety and depression for me. There are lots of yoga for anxiety videos on youtube..if one doesn't suit you try another. Just doing a short sequence can make a difference. Going to a class that is specifically for stress or anxiety would also take you out of your comfort zone which is good for building confidence. 'Face the fear and do it anyway' is another good book.