Feeling worse when the days are longer

aoi89

aoi89

I was just thinking... I've always found things more challenging when spring comes around, for some reason, even though things look much nicer and brighter. June, for some reason, seems to be the worst, although my spells of depression also seem to occur in autumn, too. I wonder why it is? Would be nice if I knew. :scratch:

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I struggle with any change in season too, but each change for different reasons.

Getting low in autumn/winter seems pretty understandable, particularly as it's darker and the weather generally isn't that nice.
Also, I personally struggle around Christmas time due to having a fucked-up family, which creates a lot of upset in me.

Personally I find spring/summer difficult because it really brings up my sense of loneliness and just how empty my life is.
I get the impression that everybody is having a wonderful time in the sunshine while i'm alone and have no friends to go anywhere with.
Also, I first got unwell in the springtime and I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Does any of what I said resonate with you?
I mean it will be different for everybody, but as you said, identifying why you struggle might help.

I hope you feel a bit better soon anyway.. do things settle down for you a bit once summer comes or do you struggle throughout the season? x

aoi89

aoi89

I struggle with any change in season too, but each change for different reasons.

Getting low in autumn/winter seems pretty understandable, particularly as it's darker and the weather generally isn't that nice.
Also, I personally struggle around Christmas time due to having a fucked-up family, which creates a lot of upset in me.

Personally I find spring/summer difficult because it really brings up my sense of loneliness and just how empty my life is.
I get the impression that everybody is having a wonderful time in the sunshine while i'm alone and have no friends to go anywhere with.
Also, I first got unwell in the springtime and I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Does any of what I said resonate with you?
I mean it will be different for everybody, but as you said, identifying why you struggle might help.

I hope you feel a bit better soon anyway.. do things settle down for you a bit once summer comes or do you struggle throughout the season? x
Hi SomersetScorpio,

I think I'm similar to you, in that I think part of my sadness is due to other people enjoying themselves in the better weather. Loneliness used to be more of a problem before I met my partner two years ago, and I think there are still some vestiges of that left over that still bug me now and then (if that makes any sense).

I tend to get worse as spring goes on, and start to improve in late July, early August, for some reason. I really wish I didn't, because I like how spring and summer look and feel - the trees blossoming, the flowers blooming, and being able to go out not wearing lots of layers - but it just seems to get me. It's a pain.

Thanks for replying, anyway, and I hope you feel better, too. :)

L

L weights

To me every day feels like the same,I find it hard to even get out of bed

Unique1

Unique1

To me every day feels like the same,I find it hard to even get out of bed
Sorry to hear this , really hope that improves for you. I had a lot of day/weeks like that too.
Keep the hope it can improve.
I wish you well.
Unique1 xx

greenfairy

greenfairy

Hi SomersetScorpio,

I think I'm similar to you, in that I think part of my sadness is due to other people enjoying themselves in the better weather. Loneliness used to be more of a problem before I met my partner two years ago, and I think there are still some vestiges of that left over that still bug me now and then (if that makes any sense).

I tend to get worse as spring goes on, and start to improve in late July, early August, for some reason. I really wish I didn't, because I like how spring and summer look and feel - the trees blossoming, the flowers blooming, and being able to go out not wearing lots of layers - but it just seems to get me. It's a pain.

Thanks for replying, anyway, and I hope you feel better, too. :)

this is me as well. I'm low in the spring and early summer. I'm calm or happy (or occasionally manic,depending) in the Autumn and Winter. I hate it when the clocks go forward. I don't know if it's the same for you too,but for me it's because the long days and early sunrise messes up my sleep cycles,which de-stabilises my mind. When it's darker,I sleep better,which evens things out again.
I love being outside all year round,but definitely better when it's darker.
I use a cicadian lamp to try and minimize the effect of the sunlight which seems to work,I don't know if it would benefit?
Hope you feel better now the Autumn is rolling around again:)

L

Limejuice

Hey Aoi89,

I'm born in 89 too! (if you are).
I hate long days too - cos I hate free time.

I can't even sin. Basically, free time is just as bad as work time.

My only cure is to make a big effort to pleasure myself (mentally). Think what I want to, really burn time by watching tv, music videos, etc.

Learning how to sin, or enjoy free time, is also a skill. A difficult skill that becomes much more difficult with depression.

I'm really working on enjoying my pockets of free time.