• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Feeling weird by looking at myself on the mirror

M

ManDss

I started to have despersonalization long time ago, and I think this is part of that.

Sometimes, like just minutes ago, I look at the mirror and I feel a bit strange, like "that is me?". Its a bit difficult to describe. But look my face, my gestures.

Sometimes I even "'talk' with myself like if the pictuere on the mirror were someone else", just make a sign to myself meaning "hey, how are you doing?". Its not that I keep a dialogue, I mean, I know its myself. And its not so uncommon to do.

Anyone relates ?

mirrormaker

mirrormaker

Yea, a bit weird that sensation. Its a reflection of your body though, the only real you is your conscience, wich cant be reflected
I sometimes think of myself like in third person. Like my conscience talking to my brain. Nothing unusual

thepersistenceofmemory

thepersistenceofmemory

I totally relate sometimes I feel like I hardly even recognize myself in photos & the mirror feels weird

Avolitionist

Avolitionist

The me I know myself to be and the me that appears in photographs are two separate people. Its always been this way.

I also get completely surprised by the sound of my own voice. Sometimes, like if I leave a voice mail or something, I can't figure out who it is on the recording after some time has passed.

The mirror isn't strange for me though. I know its me, but I look different there than in photos. My reflection does seem to age far more than I imagine is appropriate, but that is probably pretty normal.

S

Shelby1

Former member
Yes.

I freak out when I see a picture and it doesn't look the way in the mirror too. I feel I don't know me.

H

hotdogstevey

I started to have despersonalization long time ago, and I think this is part of that.

Sometimes, like just minutes ago, I look at the mirror and I feel a bit strange, like "that is me?". Its a bit difficult to describe. But look my face, my gestures.

Sometimes I even "'talk' with myself like if the pictuere on the mirror were someone else", just make a sign to myself meaning "hey, how are you doing?". Its not that I keep a dialogue, I mean, I know its myself. And its not so uncommon to do.

Anyone relates ?
totally relate. out of nowhere i always remember that i’m a person and i feel like she’s not really me

NoNameRequired

NoNameRequired

It happens to me too. Sometimes I could beat the crap out of my reflection and not hurt myself in the process.

T

TeaLeaves

Denationalisation is one mental illness which symptoms kinda fit me, although I've mentioned this to a psychiatrist and she has said nothing of that.
I don't know if I recognize myself or not but I do have a habit of looking at my reflection almost whenever I can.