• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Feeling watched

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I believed for a time that the smoke detectors in my house were bugged for audio and planes overhead were taking pictures of me, then I had a voice in my head that told me I was being followed by cloaked alien spaceships trying to beam me up but if I kept moving I was safe.

It's surprising what tricks the mind can play on you.

Luckily I found medication that worked for me, originally it was 20mg of Olanzapine but due to side effects I switched to 10mg Aripiprazole and 4mg of Risperidone and they keep me grounded.

EdEd

EdEd

I had a similar delusion about smoke detectors.

FlowerBox

FlowerBox

Aw wow really? I really admire you for not taking meds! You must be a strong cookie!

Its difficult to change mindset x I know it's a shame we all have to keep calm and soldier on! Xxx
Pshhhhh I think we are all strong cookies, like the super crunchy kind!...whether we take meds or not, just having to live with this and go about daily life, I'd say that takes a lot of strength 🙏

FlowerBox

FlowerBox

I also believed/believe that about the smoke detectors...I'm always giving the one in my room the middle finger

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

The manifestation of psychosis is culturally influenced these delusions are influenced by the mass media and information age and surveillance society. Mine are dead science fiction because I read an absolute ton of it for most of the first forty years of my life.

L

Lab rat

It’s amazing how common this delusion is. I still suffer from it (to a lesser extent) to this day. When it first came up, my cpn told me to challenge it. I did, but not the way he intended. It was a warm summer night, at 3 am I stripped off all my clothes, put my trainers on , and went for a walk. I did 4 or 5 miles like this around the estate and through town. Then I went home... and waited... and waited

I wouldn’t recommend putting it to the test in the way I did, leave that one to the professional loonies 😂

but it did prove to me that nobody is watching me or following me and the neighbours are not out to get me.

challenging the thoughts is one thing, but actually putting it to the test is what broke my delusion.

nowadays I only have problems with technology (webcams phone cameras etc) but since I have stayed away from the dark net , even those symptoms are beginning to lose their grip

A

always thirsty

i'm in your camp guys. there are a few facts and then there is what probably amounts to simple paranoia. fact - there is a woman who lives above me that in almost two years i have lived here spends her ENTIRE DAY eavesdropping on me. she also makes a point to go out on the balcony ONLY within a few minutes of me going out there. her apartment is completely closed up by shades and she has virtually never left her apartment. she gets off on listening to my every move. then another fact - my computer was hacked last month and for several days until i did a hard reset on my modem and reinstalled windows there was a rootkit in it. i know for a fact they had activated screenshot capture to around 30 second intervals and probably activated microphone, camera was taped over so even if they used that it wouldn't have worked. also wouldn't doubt there was a keylogger and uploaded my registry etc...

then there is my paranoia which no doubt the above issues had helped exaggerate. that since i have been hacked they have possibly done it again, and anything like camera, mic, keylogger etc... that they want to use they can. i feel like upstairs lady is friends with a nasty lady down the hall who from time to time stops outside my door to eavesdrop. i feel my location history is being logged. i feel like people i know from another forum are out to get me eventually. i feel sometimes that this may be my last year alive. whether covid gets me, maybe an accident, or some evil person will come and get me one way or another. most likely everything in this paragraph is delusional...i hope at least. although you never know with the covid - that is a possibility for anyone.

i'm so jealous of people who live in houses with enough room from their neighbors that they have real privacy. also jealous of people who aren't deluded like me. damn you snowden for showing us that we are being spied on by big brother!!! i miss the pre-internet/cameras everywhere days...