• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Feeling Unworthy

U

UMPALUMPA

Hey yep hello all,

I am feeling a bit crappy about something my Social Worker said today, I was sectioned on a 136 the other night which was brutal to say the least.

so today my Social Worker came to see me and we chit chatted about stuff and stuff, she said I need to get some exercise, (Maybe she saw I was a bloater from all the Seroquel:low:).

Anyway cut to the chase, she said we could apply for a grant to buy a Machine to excersize on in my Flat as I dont go out very much, so yer this was all very exciting at first but when my Social Worker left I started to beat my self up emotionally thinking that I did not deserve a freebee handout.:scratcheshead:

The thing is I beat my self with a shitty stick about being on Benefits and not having much of my own self worth, I realise I was found in need of Benefits such as DLA and ESA.

But I feel bad and undiserving of this grant for an Excersize Machine.......

I am thinking of saying thanks but no thanks about the grant, as I would only beat my self up mentally everytime I saw the 'Excersize Machine'

Thou not worthy!:respect:

Last edited:
W

Waverunner

Don't feel unworthy. If they give it to you, they believe it IS because you are worthy. you don't believe you're worthy because of your self worth. Try and accept that others may see you as worthy!

By the way, :welcome:. Love your user name!

U

UMPALUMPA

Aww thanks waverunner like your username tooo.

I can understand what you say but its just my brain logic refuzes self worth, I know its a very common feeling and am sure a lot of people feel this way.

thanks waverunner x

W

Waverunner

I get it. Maybe try and think of it in different terms like someone is giving you a present - it has no basis in worth

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
maybe don't say no right out, say you will think about it and then maybe in future you will be able to get it without it making you feel bad.

also you could think about it like this. how much is this exercise machine going to cost, maybe a hundred / couple hundred. and it could stop you getting all sorts of obesity/ unhealthyness related diseases in the long term and so it will really be saving the NHS money from having to treat you for that.

L

Lancaster Sam

Honestly don't feel unworthy. The reason why they offer these things is that because they assess you are worthy of it :) I myself have been offered DSA etc and i took it because i realised it was a good thing for me, and it helped me. :) I also love your username :p

Unique1

Unique1

Don't feel unworthy umpalumpa.

Because you are not! Think of it as help wit part of your healing, maybe to be passed on when you feel it can be...

X

U

UMPALUMPA

Thankyoo yoo all,

Well what it is, my social worker said price a excersize machine up, well now I dont know if the grant is 50 bob or 200 bob:scratcheshead:

so from all your kind replys I actually feel much better about it, especially the idea of saying

' yer thanks to my social worker, but only if we get the grant and the excersize machine can be a cmht floater which would be able to be used by some other peeps when ive got/had the benefits from it myself'

:rolleyes:this is dooable as my cmht have a small office.

thanks everyone again, unique1 - Mega Idea ;)

tabbykitten

tabbykitten

think of it as an aid to physical health. If you can exercise regularly on your machine your physical fitness will improve and you will be saving the NHS some money long term.

U

UMPALUMPA

I better get some pumps :dance:

Thankyoo everyone. X

katya

katya

Please do not feel bad for getting this hand-out. This is the media making you feel like shit for getting benefits, but really it's a good thing that we live in a country where we have a system that helps people who are in need. It'd be barbaric not to (in my opinion). You enjoy this exercise machine. Anything that makes you feel better and improves your mental or physical health at this point is a wonderful thing.

:hug1:

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Exercise releases endorphins that are good for depression to

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Glad you're feeling a bit better about all of this.
It's hard to feel worthy of anything when you're on benefits and you live in a society where the media puts out all kinds of 'scrounger' propaganda on a daily basis.. (is it just me or has there been a massive increase in shit TV shows on Channels 4 & 5 about people on benefits?).

You definitely are worthy and even more so if you struggle to get out due to anxiety and whatnot.
So enjoy it - or do what i'd probably do and make a really convenient clothes dryer out of it. :)

U

UMPALUMPA

Glad you're feeling a bit better about all of this.
It's hard to feel worthy of anything when you're on benefits and you live in a society where the media puts out all kinds of 'scrounger' propaganda on a daily basis.. (is it just me or has there been a massive increase in shit TV shows on Channels 4 & 5 about people on benefits?).

You definitely are worthy and even more so if you struggle to get out due to anxiety and whatnot.
So enjoy it - or do what i'd probably do and make a really convenient clothes dryer out of it. :)
OMG yer right it is so so upsettinn that all these Goverment Propaganda TV Series's as Biased, lets face it they would not call a program Imagrant Street or Ethinic Street, which is and would be completely out of order But it does upsett me and i am sure it upsetts so many on here that the Goverment lets a Program be called ' Benefit Street', its so demoralising to people who need/rely on Benefits to get through the day and not have the extra worrys of being homeless with Disabililities.

BBC/CH4 are either funded by the Goverment to BroadCast or they are very Biased and use predudice to attract channel viewers.

To be honest all Govermemts Use Propaganda as tools to Manipulate Citizens to fall in line with their Wants.