• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Feeling too good on anti depressants?

H

happyhappy

Founding Member
A fortnight ago, I was so unhappy. I was sick of the constant gnawing of anxiety and the low level depression. I wasn't suicidal but I was just so blooming low. I had no energy, no confidence, no motivation, concentration was gone.....you get the picture!

I suggested to my psych that maybe an anti depressant would help. I didn't expect him to agree as he said that one had made me too high before. Certainly, the first time I was on Prozac, before BP diagnoses, I came off partly because it made me too euphoric (I couldn't cry at my granny's death and was laughing at ther funeral)

This time, I am on Citalopram, which I have been on before, but without sodium valproate and quetiapine too, but it didn't make me euphoric. However, within two days, my mood lifted incredibly. The difference has been dramatic! I know when I was on it before, it took time to make me feel better and even then, it didn't do much but as I say, I wasn't on mood stabilisers too. I have loads of energy, confidence, the world feels like a good place! All the things that were upsetting to me seem so trivial. I look at myself in the mirror and think "Hey, you look ok!" instead of "What a mess" For two to three days, I don't want to sleep and I have to be really strict with myself and make myself take my meds. Then on the next day, I flag and sleep almost constantly.

However....there is always a however, isn't there? I recognise I might be a bit high. I do feel a bit euphoric at times, it is definately a feeling I can relate to from my first time on Prozac. I see my pdoc tomorrow. I am so tempted to play down how I feel as I don't want him to take me off this. I don't want to go back to feeling how I was. Yet, I think if I am honest, it is a possibility. The danger being that my high good mood becomes more destructive. Yet, in the mood I am in at the moment, I think I could only do good!

Lastly, maybe the reason I am feeling so good at the moment is that I have a brief respite from outside pressures. My work are not hassling me, the government benefits people are not hassling me. Maybe I just felt so bad because I had so much pressure on me? If I say I am feeling so good and he says, "Ok, you can get back to work now" I might well just fall flat on my face and be back at square one!

Any thoughts appreciated!

Happyhappy:)

S

scooby1001

Founding Member
I think that it would be a good idea to tell your pdoc how you are feeling as you certainly don't want it to get any worse and things go totally manic. I have had the same problems with AntiD's and now my pdoc won't give me any. What i have found to help is for quertipine to be increased and my pdoc says that quertipine is good for depression. I know it is horrible when you feel depressed and wanting to get out of that situation as quick as possible but the problem is by not telling you pdoc that you are feeling abit too happy abit too quick might lead to worse problems.

T

TOONAFISH

Hiya, i'm new to all this, but it does sound like you need to tell the doc what is going on for you. Does sound like you are a little high. Can they not reduce the dose of the anti depressant? take care x

H

happyhappy

Founding Member
Well I was 100% honest and doc said I can stay on my happy pills:) He agreed thay maybe I am a bit high but mood stabilisers should help me stop going too high. I am still being reviewed. I really hope this is the up for me!
Happyhappy

S

suzy

Go to your docter

Not to scare you but I was undiagnosed and was put on sertraline. It sent me so high and I had my psychotic episode then was in hospital for 3 months. I just think you should be careful if you feel yourself going too happy

S

shelly

how long for

I am on 50mg and think i might have bp ??? have only taken it for around 5 days no affect so far???

S

suzy

50mg of what?

It takes time for some drugs to work so don't worry. Wait a bit longer, keep taking what you are prescribed it will work, then go back to your docter if concerned and talk things through

H

Hope4you

Independant opnion can help if seeing the doc.

Well I was 100% honest and doc said I can stay on my happy pills:) He agreed thay maybe I am a bit high but mood stabilisers should help me stop going too high. I am still being reviewed. I really hope this is the up for me!
Happyhappy
Hi there,

Sometimes psychiatrists and Gps have seen people are "a bit high" but have not changed any medication, but just let them continue being a bit high. The problem here is they do not usually see the full extent of it, or the impact it is having on others close to you, and individuals will minimise the actual behaviours and symptoms they are experiencing to the doctor or psychiatrist. They can not always really assess how you are in a brief consultation, even consultant psychiatrists. It is best perhaps to have an independant opinion. Take a partner or close family member or close friend along with you who sees you alot who may recognise changes in you, and who may give a fuller picture of just how high you really are or are not. It can be hard to tell ourselves especially if there is a desire to stay high esepecially after a period of depression. Be careful the " Bit high " is not being underestimated by you or by the doctor, as they often do, or that it does not continue to rise.

Some have more insight than others which can help, and it sounds as if you do have some insight which really helps. I would be inclined to make sure you do plenty of calming activities, not over stimulating activities if you are starting to go high, and gets lots of rest, regular sleep at a reasonable hour each night,esepecillay now it is summer, mania season. I would hate you to get caught out by a negligent doctor as so often happens. Best to nip highs in the bud from experience, or self manage evry carefully to ensure they do not increase and hurt your others invariably without menaing to or wothout caring at the time, unintentionally of course. Its just how the hypomania makes people feel, and nothing and no one else matters at that time. This can then compound the depression that follows. It is not worth it being high. Try and aim for level instead. Slunds like you are trying very hard to keep on an even keel, and have been doing well. Take care.

Last edited:
H

Hope4you

Sertraline / Lamotrigine / desertion of partner when in highs

Go to your docter

Not to scare you but I was undiagnosed and was put on sertraline. It sent me so high and I had my psychotic episode then was in hospital for 3 months. I just think you should be careful if you feel yourself going too happy

Hi,

My partner was put on Sertraline afrer Ciltalopram which he did not feel was picking him up enough, ( Though he did not have an increased dose ) but the Sertraline , even though given with 1500mg of Depakpte caused the worst high ever. He has never been given any anti depressants since then, 2005. A professor of psychiatry we saw in 2006 said that the local consulatant psychiatrist should have been shot for prescribing Sertraline to someone with a history of highs and rapid cycling.

We have also found that Lamotrigine makes him go very hypomanic and mixed moods for extremely long months 4-5 month episodes, and during that time he does lots of very destructive things. I hate lamotrigine. It has ruined our relationship more than anything else as the hypomania/ verging on manic episodes last much longer, even when taken with 2000mg Depakote even when 300mg Seroquel was added. It took the edge off it but still caued problems untilthe lamotrigine was stopped. I can understand my partners love of it though as his depressions are also very long and distressing, and his mental health team are not offerring him any appropriate alternative, so he will secretly return to what he remembers made him feel good last. He has just gone high agian now as he took lamotrigine and has deserted me as he always does this when high. Does anyone ekse leave their partner when high each time?

Last edited:
D

DELATEXT

A fortnight ago, I was so unhappy. I was sick of the constant gnawing of anxiety and the low level depression. I wasn't suicidal but I was just so blooming low. I had no energy, no confidence, no motivation, concentration was gone.....you get the picture!

I suggested to my psych that maybe an anti depressant would help. I didn't expect him to agree as he said that one had made me too high before. Certainly, the first time I was on Prozac, before BP diagnoses, I came off partly because it made me too euphoric (I couldn't cry at my granny's death and was laughing at ther funeral)

This time, I am on Citalopram, which I have been on before, but without sodium valproate and quetiapine too, but it didn't make me euphoric. However, within two days, my mood lifted incredibly. The difference has been dramatic! I know when I was on it before, it took time to make me feel better and even then, it didn't do much but as I say, I wasn't on mood stabilisers too. I have loads of energy, confidence, the world feels like a good place! All the things that were upsetting to me seem so trivial. I look at myself in the mirror and think "Hey, you look ok!" instead of "What a mess" For two to three days, I don't want to sleep and I have to be really strict with myself and make myself take my meds. Then on the next day, I flag and sleep almost constantly.

However....there is always a however, isn't there? I recognise I might be a bit high. I do feel a bit euphoric at times, it is definately a feeling I can relate to from my first time on Prozac. I see my pdoc tomorrow. I am so tempted to play down how I feel as I don't want him to take me off this. I don't want to go back to feeling how I was. Yet, I think if I am honest, it is a possibility. The danger being that my high good mood becomes more destructive. Yet, in the mood I am in at the moment, I think I could only do good!

Lastly, maybe the reason I am feeling so good at the moment is that I have a brief respite from outside pressures. My work are not hassling me, the government benefits people are not hassling me. Maybe I just felt so bad because I had so much pressure on me? If I say I am feeling so good and he says, "Ok, you can get back to work now" I might well just fall flat on my face and be back at square one!

Any thoughts appreciated!

Happyhappy:)
Hi, hope you continue to feel better I've been in dark places myself, take it easy & slowly :grouphug:

jax

jax

I have not even been able to smell an anti-depressant in nearly 4 years as I have always seemed to verge on the high or manic side of my illness. I was told recently that my type of Bipolar illness is not that common. Up until the last few months - if I got the depressive side, it was for a few hours - or at most, days. My Pdoc told me he would prefer me too up than too down.

Lately though - I wish I were on an Anti-depressant. I feel so sad and despondent. My sh has flared back up - I had 2 years free of that. I find it very difficult to deal with the lows. It's not something I have to cope with very often. I would give anything to be high and elated again.
Jacqui

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Bipolar Forum 5
A Bipolar Forum 8
A Bipolar Forum 3
B Bipolar Forum 4
GaryC123 Bipolar Forum 5