• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Feeling the urge

elliepaige20

elliepaige20

Things have been very bad recently, and I haven't felt the need to self harm in a long time, but recently the urge is getting harder and harder to resist. My skin is very damaged already and I don't want to make it any worse, or give into the urge, but with everything going on in my life and always getting lost in my own head I feel like I can't think straight. One thing that has surprisingly helped is driving (which I've been getting better at!) but even then on the really bad days I feel like I'm going to do something stupid, so in some ways driving probably isn't the best thing. It's definitely worse at night, especially being in a new house that even after two months still doesn't feel like my home. I get very restless and fidgety which often results in me giving in to the urge, which I've been really trying to resist. Any advice right now would be greatly appreciated xxx

bpd2020

bpd2020

You have done the right thing by posting rather then hurting yourself. You are going through such a lot right now. I believe in talking things through to get your pain out verbally rather then physically. Would it help to talk things through now or do you feel therapy may be an option?

elliepaige20

elliepaige20

You have done the right thing by posting rather then hurting yourself. You are going through such a lot right now. I believe in talking things through to get your pain out verbally rather then physically. Would it help to talk things through now or do you feel therapy may be an option?
Thank you so much :) And yeah you're definitely right about talking things through. I've started seeing my therapist weekly again (I was seeing her every two weeks) and that definitely did help. I'm seeing her again on Friday, so until then I'm just going to do my best to get through it and hopefully soon I'll be out of this rough patch. I think everything going on with the move, relationships etc have just taken a toll recently and my parents aren't always the most understanding when it comes to me or my mental health. It's also my friends birthday today, so at least seeing her when I've finished work will be a good distraction :)

bpd2020

bpd2020

I am so happy you are seeing your therapist weekly. I think that will help such a lot. It is hard to have parents who do not understand. I am glad you are seeing your friend later. Funny its your friends birthday as it is my friends birthday tomorrow. :)

elliepaige20

elliepaige20

I am so happy you are seeing your therapist weekly. I think that will help such a lot. It is hard to have parents who do not understand. I am glad you are seeing your friend later. Funny its your friends birthday as it is my friends birthday tomorrow. :)
Thank you so much :) And wow that is kind of funny! I'm hoping that it will help take my mind off things, and she's a much better listener than my parents that's for sure xx

bpd2020

bpd2020

It helps to have a good friend. I hope you have a lovely time.

K

karl7

Things have been very bad recently, and I haven't felt the need to self harm in a long time, but recently the urge is getting harder and harder to resist. My skin is very damaged already and I don't want to make it any worse, or give into the urge, but with everything going on in my life and always getting lost in my own head I feel like I can't think straight. One thing that has surprisingly helped is driving (which I've been getting better at!) but even then on the really bad days I feel like I'm going to do something stupid, so in some ways driving probably isn't the best thing. It's definitely worse at night, especially being in a new house that even after two months still doesn't feel like my home. I get very restless and fidgety which often results in me giving in to the urge, which I've been really trying to resist. Any advice right now would be greatly appreciated xxx
@elliepaige20 ....you seriously need to get yourself checked in to a psych hospital if youre having these urges......do not delay.....this seriously needs addressing.....please dont self harm......contact your mental health team NOW

EarthChild

EarthChild

I had these urges many times, often giving into them, and sometimes when I was at my worst and in hospital I'd have these urges every day for several weeks. On a higher dose of my antipsychotic meds the urges aren't so bad, so if I have urges I take a little extra dose. Or if not then I'd chat to someone about it. Often talking to someone is enough to stop urges.

Hope you will be ok... we are here to chat... 😊

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

please don't hurt yourself ,you are very important and don't deserve to be in any kind of physical pain
please talk to us and your therapist
i used to do awful things to my body but now i have 24/7 support from my partner and hardly hurt myself at all
well done for not hurting yourself for a while
lots of love x Lu x

elliepaige20

elliepaige20

@elliepaige20 ....you seriously need to get yourself checked in to a psych hospital if youre having these urges......do not delay.....this seriously needs addressing.....please dont self harm......contact your mental health team NOW
I wouldn't say it's quite that bad, but thank you for the concern nonetheless

elliepaige20

elliepaige20

I had these urges many times, often giving into them, and sometimes when I was at my worst and in hospital I'd have these urges every day for several weeks. On a higher dose of my antipsychotic meds the urges aren't so bad, so if I have urges I take a little extra dose. Or if not then I'd chat to someone about it. Often talking to someone is enough to stop urges.

Hope you will be ok... we are here to chat... 😊
Thank you so much, and you're right talking definitely does help. I've just been trying to take it one step at a time and finding ways to distract myself, though some days are harder than others :)

elliepaige20

elliepaige20

please don't hurt yourself ,you are very important and don't deserve to be in any kind of physical pain
please talk to us and your therapist
i used to do awful things to my body but now i have 24/7 support from my partner and hardly hurt myself at all
well done for not hurting yourself for a while
lots of love x Lu x
Thank you so much for your response, I'm so glad you've managed to find a good support system :) And yeah talking definitely helps, I'm seeing my therapist this week so hopefully that will get me feeling better xx

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Self Harm Forum 3
L Self Harm Forum 13
A Self Harm Forum 3
Amber1964 Self Harm Forum 15
ThisIsOnlyABumpInTheRoad Self Harm Forum 17