feeling terrified

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

I've lived with this feeling for a number of years, but it always seems to turn out OK, it's more than a bit strange, because people who I've known who I've tried so hard to talk to about it don't really understand, & then something goes and happens to them & not me, & I mean horrible stuff, like they die, best friend & a girlfriend both 38-years-old, I'm 44, or get disabled by MS, & nothing happens to me, there are so many people who will be dead tomorrow, or injured get a disease who are fine today both mentally & physically, so why does this intense fear happen? I've withdrawn from so many occasions so scared of a negative maybe catastrophic outcome.

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

I think maybe I'm contradicting myself a bit, part of me tends to think that there's often no point in so much travel/occasions/trips away, because it's over before you know it, yes I do withdraw, but sometimes I just think what's the point of it all, going half way across the world, spending more than £100's, when you can be more safe in, suppose it's about memories, but it can be a very scary world, time goes too fast.

M

MissAnxietyUK

Reading your post can tell like me your anxiety is preventing you from going out it may seem like a waste of money and not worth the time but life is too short to spend it in your room! In your mind your okay in your safe space but soon you will realise what your missing out on as well as the relationships you could be building. This is probably not what you want to hear but honestly I do know what your going through I couldn’t leave my home for a year. I would like to help you I would suggest CBT it’s an amazing treatment that can help you pick your fears and exsplain why this is happening to you. It done wonders to me just give it a quick google or speak to your doctors about it

Hope this helps :)

Victorianna

Victorianna

What do you want to do? Do you wish you could travel, or go out for occasions? Is your fear holding you back from this, or is it also that you just don’t really have a desire to do it? If your fear could be magically gone, do you think you’d change your life drastically?
Questions I ask myself, by the way.

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

Thanks for your replies, I have done a lot of CBT since 2007 which has helped a lot, before then anxiety messed me up badly, CBT has undone a lot of it but the bad memories are still there.

I lost a whole day on a trip to Poland in 2005 on my own, not through drugs/drink, luckily I was in a hostel room with 8 other people, they had to convince me that it was Thursday morning & not Wednesday morning, so I had to get a taxi to the airport because my flight was that day, if there was no-one around I would've gone to the airport the next day, & been pretty screwed.

I'm not sure if it happens to other people, but time either goes very slowly, or goes by very fast, & I seem to lose all sense of time, & that seems to scare me the most.

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

If my fear was completely gone Victorianna, I'd buy a car straight away, I used to love driving, gave up May 2001 because of anxiety, I doubt whether I'll ever drive again, but it does cost a lot to drive in the UK, it's saved me money, & I've got enough to go to Japan this year if I wanted, but I'll probably wait, maybe next year, it's a bit daunting.

MeropeneM

MeropeneM

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Reading your post can tell like me your anxiety is preventing you from going out it may seem like a waste of money and not worth the time but life is too short to spend it in your room! In your mind your okay in your safe space but soon you will realise what your missing out on as well as the relationships you could be building.
I humbly disagree with that. I have traveled to Paris, New York, London, Dublin, Washington DC, Philadelphia, Copenhagen etc. and the experience I have in my room is far superior to my experience traveling to those places. I am very interested in space travel however.

I can assure you it's not travel anxiety. I took countless flights and as an engineer, I know that each time I take a flight, my life hangs in a jack screw. I have zero fear during extreme turbulence and if the plane breaks apart, I'm ok with dying. I'm also comfortable in other places.

It's just that, what takes place in my room is FAR more interesting :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Anxiety Forum 4
P Anxiety Forum 5
P Anxiety Forum 0
J Anxiety Forum 6
S Anxiety Forum 1