Feeling stupid for having an (possible) anxiety attack

P

Plentyrees

Sorry for the long post. I tried to keep it as short as possible.

Last week Sunday I was supposed to work a 9-hour shift at my job (I work in a pizzeria) and Sundays are the busiest days of the week. Usually, there are 4 employees in the kitchen, but due to sickness, we were down to two employees, me and one other girl. Because we get a lot of orders on Sundays, it is expected that we work really fast, while maintaining quality. For me, that is not possible. No matter how much I try to work faster, I seem to work even slower because I am afraid of messing up and getting yelled at by the boss, which for me happens pretty often because of my inability to process orders faster. Every time I tell my boss that I can't work fast, he tells me that I must learn. But no matter how much I try, I just can't do it. Because of that I got really scared and stressed that day and started crying uncontrollably. I started hyperventilating and my hands started shaking. I called my mom and really freaked her out and she tried to calm me down, but I couldn't. I called my boss crying and explained to him what happened. He told me to try and calm down and come into work a couple of hours later, and that if I don't, it would be really bad for business. That kind of caused me to get even more scared for some reason and I couldn't calm down. Eventually, I texted him, since I was too upset to talk, and told him that I really couldn't come into work that day and I quit my job.

Now the same thing is happening and I feel really stupid about it. It makes me feel weak, makes me feel like I'm giving up too easily. But the truth is, I really can't take it anymore and I hate myself for it. I really hate being this weak and letting my anxiety control me. I need some advice on how to cope with this. My mom is trying her best to comfort me and I love her for it, but I just need some extra tips from someone who's maybe dealt with this thing before.

P

Plentyrees

I think it's the amount of work and not being able to keep up with it. There are all these rules that I need to keep up with as well. I think too much about it and I just freeze mentally. I get really anxious about doing a good job since this is also my first ever job. And trying to keep up with course work as well is just mentally and physically tiring.

P

Plentyrees

Yes, he knows. Only one employee in the kitchen is a full-time employee (she is on sick leave). The rest of us (about 6-7 people) are all college students working part-time. And yes, I am in the process of quitting this job and am looking for a new one.

G

gam9147

Trying to keep a very busy schedule and a stressful job is a hard thing to deal with. Firstly, try to acknowledge that, and remember that its not easy and many others have trouble in your situation as well.

You can start by trying one of the many techniques for anxiety/panic attacks. Do you take any supplements, vitamins, prescriptions or herbals? you can try deep breathing, muscle relaxation and distraction techniques for directly dealing with panic attacks. Overall you can practice these same techniques, Yoga, exercise and other anxiety techniques on a daily basis for getting yourself to a better place where you are more able to cope with these things over time. It does take some time and effort to work on though and lots of patience with yourself.