• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Feeling shit about being honest with my boss

bubbling under

bubbling under

My boss asked if we could have a chat about the nannyshare we're meant to be starting after xmas. I'm currently caring for a 2yr old and an 8 month old from 7.30-6pm five days a week. For a few tuesdays I've been looking after a 5 month old as well, so basically 3 children every tuesday. This tuesday, I had a really really bad time with the 3 of them, ending up in me bursting in to tears on my boss. I've had to be honest with her and say I can't cope with having 3 full time, and I feel really shit about it. I feel like I should be able to do it, I've been doing it for nearly 15 yrs, but I just can't :(

She was kind of ok about it, well to my face she was. But I've agreed to carry on doing the tuesday until xmas so we're not just dropping it on the lap of the other mother.....<sigh>

I could really do without this right now

S

*Sapphire*

BU looking after three children (who are not yours) at those ages, for those long hours is a huge task. I don't know many nannies that would do that.

You did the right thing. You let them know your limitations and gave them notice to find someone else to look after the children. In my opinion they are asking too much of you and if they don't like it then they are not thinking about the welfare of you or their children (as they say an unhappy minder/parent makes for an unhappy child).

Please don't feel bad about it, you have had a huge amount to deal with this year. Perhaps when some time has passed for you to process what has happened and come to terms with your grief you can go back to your former supernanny self!

Take care hun, and try not to worry about it. You need to put yourself first :hug:

bubbling under

bubbling under

I know, it's just I don't admit defeat that easily, but I was in such a state on tuesday, I felt I had to be honest about it. What's frustrating me more is I actually could cope with this normally, and do a bloody good job, but it's all far too much for me at this point. And the quality of care of all the children would be hugely compromised, as would my own health. I'm dreading how the other mum will take the news :(, and I've still got to see her until the end of dec.....I'm not good with stuff like this. I should be able to do it, and I can't. I'm really not feeling good about myself tonight

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

BU, what would happen with the kids if you had flu or something? You wouldn't be expected to deal with them would you? Well if you think your health is suffering, you need to take a break and not feel guilty about it. It's just another illness after all. I wish more people understood that.

bubbling under

bubbling under

BU, what would happen with the kids if you had flu or something? You wouldn't be expected to deal with them would you? Well if you think your health is suffering, you need to take a break and not feel guilty about it. It's just another illness after all. I wish more people understood that.

In my past job then yes, I was made to feel very bad about being unwell. It was that job which made me breakdown in the first place:(. This is very different, if I'm unwell it's no huge problem, because mums job allows her to change things v quickly. I can't take a break now, I only went back fulltime 5 weeks ago :(

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3