• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Feeling safe

jajingna

jajingna

This morning I've been reminding myself that I'm safe. Thoughts and feelings can say all sorts of things, but I also felt the need to remind myself that I am indeed safe where I live and with the people around me. It's just trying to reassure myself, there is no danger, no threat. Nothing bad is happening, nothing bad will happen. If it does I'll deal with it then as well as I know how. Even if I feel anxious, depressed, or whatever, even if thought goes to a dark place... I am safe.

Seems to help.

PurplePrinny80s

PurplePrinny80s

Repeat it to yourself and let all those anxious thoughts float/blow away.

jajingna

jajingna

I believe this is the main issue for socially anxious people, and maybe for most people with anxiety or phobia problems, or even paranoia, this insecurity they feel. We go into survival mode because we don't really feel safe. Someone said something like, "this was useful for the caveman, not so useful for the office worker."

Moonlight_Day

Moonlight_Day

We go into survival mode because we don't really feel safe. Someone said something like, "this was useful for the caveman, not so useful for the office worker."
Not sure if this helps or not but keeping the mindset that if someone says something like that it doesn't mean you are not safe. Just means the guy is a dick.

jajingna

jajingna

Not sure if this helps or not but keeping the mindset that if someone says something like that it doesn't mean you are not safe. Just means the guy is a dick.
Ah, no, that was never said to me. That was a valid point, I believe, whoever said or wrote something like that. Basically the meaning being certain fears helped keep us alive thousands of years ago, but today those fears are a burden. Guess it goes to the most primitive parts of ourselves, that which operates to promote survival. But we have not evolved past fears that used to be useful. Social anxiety then is basically a survival mechanism where danger is perceived at an emotional level, though none exists to the rational part of our thinking.

Moonlight_Day

Moonlight_Day

I think I understand what you are saying, but I've personally never seen it as fear. For me anxiety is more an uncomfortable feeling. Like avoiding possible drama. I don't know much about social anxiety. But from what you said it makes sense that there is always an order of ranking in all life. Or maybe I don't understand. I just know if someone starts a fight with me I don't back down, but the drama of it is something I would rather avoid. Same with petty stuff like arguments. I don't like them and don't want them but i wouldn't back down if someone pissed me off. Even more so the drama of being turned down by a pretty woman if I ask her out for coffee for example.. I'd rather the tar beaten out of me lol. Not sure if that is what you mean by primitive survival. Either way I would feel anxiety during and after each situation. I would rather say nothing and avoid it. But many people enjoy it, who don't have entirety. I see them as people who need to feel "alpha". Let them be as far as I am concerned.

Moonlight_Day

Moonlight_Day

Who don't have anxiety* i ment.