• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

feeling really down about the way i look

D

dyland

i am in a really bad place right now, maybe not to other people but in my head i am. every time i look in the mirror i am disgusted with what i see and i keep looking in the mirror for a majority of the day. i don't know what I'm expecting to see, maybe I'm hoping to see that I've changed. i dont feel that i am the person on the outside that i am on the inside and its really getting me down. because of this i am very shy when speaking to people, especially new people. i think this is because im already thinking they have judged me and dislike me because of the way i look. im never natural, im always thinking about my facial features and my body position. this is causing me to not be myself anywhere but at home, i hardly speak and when i do its forced and unnatural because im worried about what people are thinking, even with friends that i have known for years im not being myself. im having a hard time dealing with this but I'm too scared to tell anyone and really don't know what to do.

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
:welcome: to the forum.

I see a lot of me in you. It has taken me years to get comfortable around my rl friend and people I work with for the same reason.

Self esteem when it's low is horrible to live with, especially out in the big wide world.

I just wanted to let you know that I know how horrible that feels and to :hug1: you.

Marliee x

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Welcome to the forum.
Anybody who immediately judges you on your appearance is probably not the sort of person you want to be around anyway.
I'm not saying that to be flippant.
I know what it's like to hate your own reflection but I can actually say i'm at a place of peace with my appearance. I know i'll never be a supermodel, and i'm ok with that.

I think if you can build up your self-esteem in other areas, think about what the good points are about you (not just physical - who you are as a person) then it might help you feel better about yourself.

Nobody ever tells me i'm beautiful, but I often get told how caring and lovely I am. To me, that's more important.

Perhaps it might be an idea to get some self-help books for improving self-esteem? I read "Overcoming Low Self-Esteem" and it really helped me.