• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Feeling of dread/impending doom/something bad about to happen. How to cope?

D

Diggit

Hello everyone,
I apologise if this has been covered before but I'm new here.

I have a constant fear of something bad about to happen or feeling of impending doom. I understand that this can be common with GAD so I'd like to hear from you and your experience with it - and also how you cope with it on a daily basis.
When I stop to rationalise it I know that it's not a real threat or fear but yet it doesn't stop the feeling from being there.
Or is that simply what anxiety is??
For me I can feel anxious but not have 'the fear' but on other days I feel completely consumed by it.
With all the uncertainty with corona, work, money, family, isolation etc. It has become at the forefront of my anxiety.
I'm wondering how people cope with it?
Thanks for your time.

peanuts4

peanuts4

I try distracting myself, but that's getting harder.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

Hello everyone,

I have a constant fear of something bad about to happen or feeling of impending doom. I understand that this can be common with GAD so I'd like to hear from you and your experience with it - and also how you cope with it on a daily basis.
When I stop to rationalise it I know that it's not a real threat or fear but yet it doesn't stop the feeling from being there.
For me I can feel anxious but not have 'the fear' but on other days I feel completely consumed by it.
With all the uncertainty with corona, work, money, family, isolation etc. It has become at the forefront of my anxiety.
Thanks for your time.
That's anxiety letting you know you need to take it easy. I know that feeling. I hate it. Look at nature. Imagine carrying a big boulder everywhere. Looks like your stressed. Let go of stuff. Do some stress relieving stuff etc.

H

Hello513Zombie

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your time.
I have constant fear I will be kicked out of my program

P

Palbau

I understand you very well. I feel the same way. Life was tough before covid-19 and now it has been worst for me. I'm on the edge all the time, very anxious and afraid.
I read a lot about anxiety and I try to do some mindfulness and everything else.
Anxiety is a horrible thing but there is a cure. This illness is an illness of how we feel.
I try to change the approach to anxiety, but this is very hard and some times life is so contrary and put unexpected obstacles in the way, but we need to believe and hope the best.
🙃

J

Jivienne Mae

Hi I'm new here.

H

Headingtothelight

what sort of thing do you fear may happen?
fear really restricts us, if you knew how to turn that fear and negative energy into love and other things,,,you’d excell in they areas,,,maybe your right tho maybe something bad is about to happen!
Agenda 21/ Event 201/ The New World Order.
Life will never be the same after this virus

D

Diggit

Thank you everyone for your replies.
I appreciate your help.

I hope you are all staying safe and well

T

TheWarrior101

Yes, I believe to some extent, it can be anxiety. I had before a long time ago but I dealt with it. From my experience whenever people were staring in public at me, I thought they were staring at me and were talking about me, if this makes sense to you. So I had a little bit of anxiety but managed to get over it with diet and exercise. I have been doing yoga, stretching and working out and it is a great combination to work with. Now I diminished my symptoms of anxiety and I am starting to go out in public more often and be around other people more often. I enjoy the presence of people and to socialize with them.

W

wallflower

I have constant fear I will be kicked out of my program
I totally get this feeling. I drove myself crazy during my master's program because of this feeling. I went into overdrive mode and experienced burn out. That affected me more! But at the end, I completed successfully and all the panic wasn't worth it. Id suggest you focus only on what is in your hands. and not about every outcome.

Hope you feel better soon!

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

Reading these forums helps. When I do that I know a lot of folks are dealing with the same fear that bad things are going to happen that I am. Human beings were given concern about the future to help us plan, but when it turns into continual, chronic anxiety than something has gone wrong-that part of our brain is not working properly, anymore. As someone above noted, it's particularly a challenge during this worldwide pandemic-we're all feeling anxious about that.

One good way to get out of that mindset is to practice breathing exercises/meditation. Just try and concetrate on keeping your breathing steady and regular. When your mind starts to wander to worries, pull it back and focus on the breathing again. It'll take you time to get good at it, but eventually you'll be able to focus on the breathing to the exclusion of your worries. If you can get up to just 15 minutes/day, that'll do wonders for your anxiety. Really good practitioners can go for an hour or so. Some folks also chant, because rhythmic exercises can help.