• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Feeling low.

• Thread starter Alexander Ypsilantis
  • Start date
A

Alexander Ypsilantis

ACCOUNT CLOSED
One of my two dogs has Congestive Heart Failure and he hasn't had a good Sunday. I'd hoped I had a few weeks left with him, he was scheduled for an abdominal fluid draining on Monday which would have made him feel better. But he didn't eat his meals today (I have his medication mixed in with his meals) and seems to be going down fast. I'm afraid I'll have to turn his scheduled appointment tomorrow for fluid-extraction into putting him to sleep.

I live alone, I'm married but separated. My two dogs have been my only companionship for several years and especially the last year of this pandemic. They're my buds. The other one has Laryngeal Paralysis, so I'm not sure how long he'll be around-maybe 6 months or so. The thought of losing both my companions in the next few months is deeply troubling.

I know, some of you think 'This is only a pet, why get so upset?'. But, my wife and I have never had children, my dogs ARE my family. The bond is very strong. Losing your children would be comparable.

I work a full time job, 50 hours/week. I deal with significant issues every day to keep my company solvent. My coworkers have no idea how I struggle with issues they could probably not imagine, but I do.

This really stinks. I know many of you are dealing with similar problems and I extend my love to you. Why does life involve so much hurt?

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm listening to the Saint-Saens Organ Sympony No. 3. The dog with congestive heart failure is laying next to me on the carpet, he's always wanted to be near me. At my age-66 years old-I've had to endure too many pet losses. They rely on me to be there for them, why does it always come down to this?

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

ACCOUNT CLOSED
My dog when I first adopted him, 8 years ago. He's gentle and loving and has a great personality.

Spanky.jpg

mar

mar

I never had pets as a kid - So I never got used to the idea...
I've rationalized that it would be too painful to lose them since they don't live so long...
But it's just a rationalization... Not sure...
I like visiting people with pets though...

J

JeanPierre

Your Dog is beautiful and awesome.
You have given a wonderful last 8 years and received the same.
I'm so sorry to hear this news.
You are in my thoughts, Alexander ✌

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Your Dog is beautiful and awesome.
You have given a wonderful last 8 years and received the same.
I'm so sorry to hear this news.
You are in my thoughts, Alexander ✌
Many thanks for your kindness, JP.

L

Ladyfair

I'm deeply sorry I do understand your pain.

M

ManDss

I used to love cats. I had just 2 cats reallt felt so much love for them. The first, a female, had some kind of cat"s illnes, the second, male, died because dogs.

The second lost really hurted me, I wasnt prepare, and I was dealing with other things, and damn, enter to the house and see the cat running at me from the end of the hall really give me joy.

After this lost I decided maybe never have a cat again, I really like this animals so much, but when they go its just painful.

I dont like dogs much, so its hard to relate to you, but I hope things be well for you.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Ended up euthanizing my dog this afternoon. He refused to eat and I put his medication in his food. Without medication he was in a rapidly descending spiral. I know I did the right thing, he didn't have much longer to go. But I feel like absolute crap.

How many 'Goodbyes' do you have in your bank? How many can you use until you are an empty vessel? At 66 I have used so many, I don't know if I have any left. Family, friends, associates, beloved pets. Can a man continue to exist when he has emptiness inside?

Yeah, I know-why make such a big deal out of just a pet? 😭

Oliver2019

Oliver2019

Pets are family! Even families with pets know this. You dog and you were connected and tied together. It is okay to cry and grieve. I lost a grand-cat about 10 years ago. I bawled along with my son.

I know of your emptiness. . . especially in these trying time of fear and trust.

At 72 I, too, have lost many along the road. each death leaves a hole in my heart. How much room does my heart have for more, up-coming deaths. 😢😭I

🤗
I'm offering you my condolences and sending hugs out to you from Florida. Take care of yourself.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Admin
I'm so very sorry for your loss, you did the right thing.
Pets mean the world to us, I understand.
Hugs

F

flabbergasted

I post very little on here - mainly read to learn - but this touchs me sooo much. I am so very sorry for your loss. And it's not "just a pet" - there's just nothing like the love of (and especially from) a pet. I've got 4 years on you, so I've cried many tears in a "vet" office and know what you are feeling. Try and take comfort in the fact that you gave this adorable dog a fantastic life full of love. And as hard as it is to do it, thank God we have euthanization so they don't have to suffer. I think you were very blessed to have had this beautiful animal in your life and he was very blessed to have had you in his life to share his love with. Take care...

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Pets are family! Even families with pets know this. You dog and you were connected and tied together. It is okay to cry and grieve. I lost a grand-cat about 10 years ago. I bawled along with my son.

I know of your emptiness. . . especially in these trying time of fear and trust.

At 72 I, too, have lost many along the road. each death leaves a hole in my heart. How much room does my heart have for more, up-coming deaths. 😢😭I

🤗
I'm offering you my condolences and sending hugs out to you from Florida. Take care of yourself.
Thanks Oliver, that means a great deal. Take care.