• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Feeling low, need something to help me sleep

E

eternaljourney

Been trying my best to have a good Christmas and I was lucky to have a few good days but I'm on a downer again.

Has anyone been given something other than mirtazapine to help them sleep while on venlafaxine. My doctor has suggested mirtazapine but I've had it before on it's own and started gaining weight in a matter of weeks. I need something the same but something that won't put weight on me and can be taken with venlafaxine?

I'm really sorry to hear that others are feeling bad too.

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Can you not ask for a short course of something like zopiclone.. it is usually only prescribed for a couple of weeks but can kick your seeping back into touch. I find that I need a routein for a couple of weeks or so to kick my sleep back but saying that I dont think I ll ever be agreat sleeper but learn how to manage it better!

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
I was on trazodone before I started on venlafaxine and my psychiatrist has kept me on it, at a slightly lower dose, to help with sleep. It doesn't always help, and seems better now that I'm on the extended release venlafaxine, but most nights it does help. I'm an early morning waker, though - I tend not to struggle to get to sleep, so don't know if trazodone would help then. I had been offered mirtazapine before trazodone but wasn't keen on the weight gain.

E

eternaljourney

Thanks intelgal. I was given 7 zopiclone just 3.75mg a week ago but they're not strong enough and I need something for the long term.

I'll look into the trazodone Rollinit. I'm still considering mirtazapine again.
I just think if I was guaranteed to sleep every night I'll have more strength to cope with the angst feelings in the day.

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Hi there,

I'm on Mirtazapine alongside ven and it certainly helps me to sleep - probably a little too much as I often fall asleep during the day even after having a good night. Once I took the mirtazapine in the morning and spent the next six hours falling asleep in some embarrasing locations. Weight gain has been a bit of an issue but then I think it seems to be with most drugs so I've just accepted it as a necessary evil.

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
They come in 7.5 as well... its what I am using at the moment but they really give you a foul tast in your mouth all day despite choc biscuits by the bucket load!

Hope ya get sorted soon

Has anyone tried any sort of aromatherpy oil for this it summat thats always interested me!???

E

eternaljourney

Thanks Honey,

I'm thinking of asking to try trazodone and I'll keep mirtazapine in mind if not.

I use oils intelgal. I make my own perfume using either baby oil or grape seed oil as a base in 10mg or 20mg bottles. They can help mood and be relaxing but I never find them really sedating, not enough to make me fall asleep anyway.
Lavender, bergamot, patchouli, sandlewood...there are lots of relaxing oils and some of them smell lovely too.

Eternal x

Blackrat

Blackrat

I use oils intelgal. I make my own perfume using either baby oil or grape seed oil as a base in 10mg or 20mg bottles. They can help mood and be relaxing but I never find them really sedating, not enough to make me fall asleep anyway.
Lavender, bergamot, patchouli, sandlewood...there are lots of relaxing oils and some of them smell lovely too.
off topic, but how does Baby oil work as a base? I've been really interested in making my own perfumes, but most of the bases I've found have been far too expensive to use for just experimenting :redface: also, how do you work out ratios of base to essential/scent oil?

Sorry for all the questions, but this sounds really interesting and I'd like to have a go at some point!

E

eternaljourney

It can be expensive but I find buying a cheap brand of baby oil works fine and then the next cheap oil is grape seed which was about £2 ish from an independent health store (cheaper prices for essential oils there too).
As an example, for a 10ml perfume- 10 drops of lavender, 15 drops of patchouli, 10 drops of bergamot and 10 drops of sandalwood. This will make a woody and pleasantly sweet smell, suitable for both men and women. With this combination it could make you feel calm, uplifted, possibly a bit frisky (but no guarantee) then topped up with the base oil which can also be sweet almond oil.
I apply to my inner wrists, the inside of my elbow joint, behind both ears and sometimes on the back of my neck. It's nice to rub any leftover on your hand lightly through your hair (I suppose that depends on your hairstyle).
This is also good for massage either by someone else or to yourself and for any places difficult to reach especially the back you can use a hand held back massager that you can smear with the oil.
If you prefare to just inhale the smells which can be helpful too dropping some on a tissue or hanky and having a sniff when needed or using an oil burner.
I don't mind any questions or extra advice because I love this subject myself. I'm searching for perfect balances of the oils for different moods because some stimulate and some sedate. They can suppress appetite, stimulate appetite, calm us liven us etc...Much nicer to talk about than medication sometimes(y) We always have to talk about that too though:shrug:

EternalX

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
It all sounds rather loverly! I must admit I do like the thought of having nice smells to uplift your mood. I love it this time of year when i have nice lotions and potions I ve been bought for christmas.... beats the own brand stuff Ive been buying in the run up to christmas! heheh

S

saffron

hi
alternative therapies are meant to be holistic in which they help mind body and soul. the power of relaxation techniques, which may include massage, breathing, meditation, listening to certain types of music and yoga relaxation methods can all assist with your overall well being especially when it comes to sleep; ridding the body of toxins which make you feel lethargic; and stimulating blood flow which helps with oxygenating the body, especially the brain, all these methods if done very slowly and rythmically will have a relaxing effect.

I find listening to dvds of whale or dolphin song, or the waves coming ashore with a few aromatic candles and the lights very dim allows me get lost without thought and therefore relax and wash away the days bad thoughts.

S

Blackrat

Blackrat

It can be expensive but I find buying a cheap brand of baby oil works fine and then the next cheap oil is grape seed which was about £2 ish from an independent health store (cheaper prices for essential oils there too).
As an example, for a 10ml perfume- 10 drops of lavender, 15 drops of patchouli, 10 drops of bergamot and 10 drops of sandalwood. This will make a woody and pleasantly sweet smell, suitable for both men and women. With this combination it could make you feel calm, uplifted, possibly a bit frisky (but no guarantee) then topped up with the base oil which can also be sweet almond oil.
I apply to my inner wrists, the inside of my elbow joint, behind both ears and sometimes on the back of my neck. It's nice to rub any leftover on your hand lightly through your hair (I suppose that depends on your hairstyle).
This is also good for massage either by someone else or to yourself and for any places difficult to reach especially the back you can use a hand held back massager that you can smear with the oil.
If you prefare to just inhale the smells which can be helpful too dropping some on a tissue or hanky and having a sniff when needed or using an oil burner.
I don't mind any questions or extra advice because I love this subject myself. I'm searching for perfect balances of the oils for different moods because some stimulate and some sedate. They can suppress appetite, stimulate appetite, calm us liven us etc...Much nicer to talk about than medication sometimes(y) We always have to talk about that too though:shrug:

EternalX
Cheers for the advice :D I've been using oils for a long time (usually in oil burners) for meditation and just to make the room smell nice! I use patchouli a *lot* as well as sandalwood and vanilla. I've been "off" lavender for a while since I tried a really nasty fake lavender oil that smelled really sickly!
My favorite at the moment is Frankincense - not too pricey and it's quite uplifting :)
Will have a browse of the oils next time I'm in town and see what I come up with!

S

saffron

these might help

People have different sleep patterns, but if you do find yourself unable to sleep, whatever your natural pattern, the following essential oils can help, especially when added to a very warm bath at bedtime.

Just add 4-6 droops to the water and swirl to disperse. To not use the same oils for more than two weeks at a time.

• Basil: this oil calms the nervous system generally.
• Chamomile: a very calming and relaxing oil, and a good choice when indigestion hinders sleep
• Clary sage: this has a sedative and almost euphoric action. Do not use if you have had alcohol – it can give you nightmares or a hangover.
• Lavender: not only very soothing, but also analgesic, so if you have any aches and pains that lead to insomnia, this oil is probably the best insomnia remedy
• Rosalina (Melaleuca ericafolia) would be a mild and effective change for those not fond of Lavender...or just tired of it. Rosalina is sometimes called "Lavender Tea Tree."
• Marjoram: in large amounts it is quite sedating – but it can leave you feeling groggy, so use it sparingly

S

E

eternaljourney

We've been using some cinnamon in the burner this Christmas, it really makes the room smell nice with all the decs up.

There's plenty of aromatherapy books available with all the uses listed. Frankincense is supposed to be an all rounder I think.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ladyfair Depression Forum 2
K Depression Forum 26
I Depression Forum 4
D Depression Forum 5
A Depression Forum 11