• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Feeling like your personality has gone flat?

S

schmerg77

Hi.

I'm new to the forum and was writing to see if anyone might be able to relate to what I'm experiencing or help me diagnose what it might be. Over the past several years my personality has changed significantly. I used to be able to communicate with people without a problem, but more and more through the years I have basically become more and more anti-social. One of the big reasons is that I find myself being tongue tied and completely unable to contribute anything to conversations. Its as if my personality has gone flat. My mind seems to have slowed down and I simply have nothing to say to anyone on most occasions. If I do communicate with people I say nothing of value and generally just try to appear as normal as possible and hope no one notices the internal struggle that is happening. It makes every social situation completely awkward for me and I have basically isolated myself from most of my friends. I also experience memory loss constantly! I can barely remember a grocery list of 4 items and have to write everything down or I'll forget at least one of the 4 items. My short term memory seems to be non existent as of late!

While I wouldn't necessarily say that I was a brainiac in the past, I used to be fairly quick on the draw in most situations. I used to write music and stories/poems constantly and that aspect of my life has completely ceased to exist. I have no motivation to write anymore and when I try I am barely able to get a decent line out anymore. (In the past it used to flow with little effort.)

This problem only seems to get worse and worse to the point that I am concerned that maybe I have a brain/personality disorder! I have tried searching online for things that match this but I'm not sure where to start.
I just don't feel any passion for life anymore. Its as if I'm just existing trying to appear normal. Inside I don't feel like me anymore. Its like I've been replaced by a much more boring and numb version of me.

Help?:unsure:

iffybob

iffybob

Hello

Umm,... questions first ..., are you taking any medications or even street drugs, have you changed your diet, ie you only eat junk food now ....

also experience memory loss constantly! I can barely remember a grocery list of 4 items and have to write everything down or I'll forget at least one of the 4 items. My short term memory seems to be non existent as of late!
I did find that concerning ....

... it could be many things, try and look at what has changed, if you cant find anything 'obviouse' then I think a trip to your Gp is in order, explain your concerns... and see what he/she says ...

If it helps print off what you posted here and take it with you ... a lot of people find that helps when the have to first tell there GP there concerns ...

Good luck ... any more questions just ask... boB ... :cool:

C

coraline1664

Hi
I realise you wrote this post a couple of weeks ago, but I have been experiencing very very similar things... you are not alone!!!

When I go into social situations it feels like most of my brain has shut off. I probably couldn't remember my brothers birthdays or work out the sum of 20 +30. If someone asked me in that sort of situation what I had done the day before I wouldn't have a clue. So it must be a new developed part of my social anxiety. I also become excessively clumsy, disorientated and generally confused in social situations. I find it hard to form sentences. Whatever I have planned to say in my head, something else comes out instead and it almost always sounds awkward, defensive or the wording will come out completely different to how I meant it to. I automatically turn into this sheepish, confused, meek person without even knowing how it happened. Like you I just say a few words now and again, when i can manage. just politely agreeing with someone on something even if i dont particularly agree with it, commenting on the curtains or something equally dull, it feels automatic, i can't stop saying these things and if someone asked me a question on something I was interested in when I felt like this I wouldn't even know the answer myself until say I just walked out of the room alone to get a glass of water and then i would 'get my brain back again' for a minute until i went back into the room.
I used to be able to do things that i enjoyed- creative things- whenever i wanted to, and now often nothing even comes out how i want it to and I end up just discarding the paper i have written/drawn on.

I think you are not just talking about social situations, but the feelings you described felt very similar to mine.

Hope to hear from you soon,

E

S

SammaJammaa

I feel just like schmerg and coraline but I freak out on my loved ones and make them miserable, I get into these negative moods and they are disgusting. I hate everything and everyone around me and constantly nag about everything. I'm pushing the man I love away. I snap out of it and realize what a total jerk Im being but by then its too late and I ruin everyones mood. I'm not always like this but very often. I feel like I've lost myself I'm not me anymore. Today is my 2nd day on my new medication prozac and I cried all day and made everyone around me miserable once again... only worse. This was just a venting thing for me I suppose and I just wanted someone other then ky doctor to listen. It makes me feel a little better knowing that I'm not the only one who doesn't feel like themselves, gives me hope..... maybe one day I can find myself again.

N

Newhere

Please help!

Hi.

I'm new to the forum and was writing to see if anyone might be able to relate to what I'm experiencing or help me diagnose what it might be. Over the past several years my personality has changed significantly. I used to be able to communicate with people without a problem, but more and more through the years I have basically become more and more anti-social. One of the big reasons is that I find myself being tongue tied and completely unable to contribute anything to conversations. Its as if my personality has gone flat. My mind seems to have slowed down and I simply have nothing to say to anyone on most occasions. If I do communicate with people I say nothing of value and generally just try to appear as normal as possible and hope no one notices the internal struggle that is happening. It makes every social situation completely awkward for me and I have basically isolated myself from most of my friends. I also experience memory loss constantly! I can barely remember a grocery list of 4 items and have to write everything down or I'll forget at least one of the 4 items. My short term memory seems to be non existent as of late!

While I wouldn't necessarily say that I was a brainiac in the past, I used to be fairly quick on the draw in most situations. I used to write music and stories/poems constantly and that aspect of my life has completely ceased to exist. I have no motivation to write anymore and when I try I am barely able to get a decent line out anymore. (In the past it used to flow with little effort.)

This problem only seems to get worse and worse to the point that I am concerned that maybe I have a brain/personality disorder! I have tried searching online for things that match this but I'm not sure where to start.
I just don't feel any passion for life anymore. Its as if I'm just existing trying to appear normal. Inside I don't feel like me anymore. Its like I've been replaced by a much more boring and numb version of me.

Help?:unsure:

Wow this is exactly how I feel!! Does anyone know what is wrong with us??

G

Gdawg

Total loss of anything to say

I would suspect the meds first thing.
I have been going through very very similar things for as long as I can remember but as of late they are becoming more frequent and lasting a longer time. It's like one minute I can be at a party for example in the best mood, talking, making people laugh and then bang, in one swift instance I'm in this bubble where all my thoughts have gone and I lose everything that makes me who I am!! It's so debilitating and I just don't know how to deal with it or what it is I've actually got!! Any help would be gratefully recieved

T

TPR H

Me too :(

actually im having the same problem of urs but i know i hv changed after knowing a psycopathy person nd he was hard on my thoughts nd hard on my brain ... In addition to what u said i lost my confidence too not the same confidence i used to have ...
this affect my self respect too . nd my life is not fun and beneficial as it was nd not at all .
i feel like im missing my self nd i dnt knw wat is going on too :(

T

TPR H

actually im having the same problem of urs but i know i hv changed after knowing a psycopathy person nd he was hard on my thoughts nd hard on my brain ... In addition to what u said i lost my confidence too not the same confidence i used to have ...
this affect my self respect too . nd my life is not fun and beneficial as it was nd not at all .
i feel like im missing my self nd i dnt knw wat is going on too

S

schmerg77

Several years later- I am the OP of this thread. Thanks to those who responded. I completely forgot about this thread- Hence the bad memory issue rearing its ugly head. To answer some who wrote- I was not on any street drugs at the time of this thread though I had some struggle with alcohol years prior that I got under control.
I hope people who posted here might have found relief from what they were experiencing. I chalk this up to anxiety and extremely low self esteem. Mental health influences so much of how we experience life. Things did look up to some degree for me. Got myself involved in more friendships/communities basically by forcing myself to do so. I find socialization still extremely difficult, and the memory issue hasn't gotten that much better. But it hasn't gotten that much worse either so theres that... Trying to stay positive. Thanks for connecting and relating.

P

Pollypop

I have had these same symptoms for a long time.
They have become so bad that at one point I even forgot how to
spell my name.

I have totally cut myself off from people and society.
Consequently I have become agoraphobic.

I can't relate to the person I used to be.
It's very frightening but I can't "find" the original me.
I sometimes wonder whether that person actually existed.

I can see no future.
Well done to all of you who are working your way through this.
Maybe it gives some of us hope that it can be done. x