• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Feeling like I'm forever in panic mode

M

Mel123

I've had panic disorder and anxiety pretty much my whole life. (I'm 36F)
Have had issues with depression off and on. This last Friday I had a really bad episode where I thought I was having a heart attack. Went to the ER and they did blood work, EKG and checked my BP. Everything was normal except elevated pulse. They told me I should go home and rest. Since then I've been back in to the urgent care with same awful symptoms. I feel like my body is on fire, I get pain in my chest arms and neck. My heart beats super fast and I feel just awful. They did a second EKG and said it also was fine.
I've spent most of my time since in bed feeling dread and hopeless. I talked to my GP and they are having me up my citalopram to 20mg and take 1mg of Xanax for the extreme panic.

I feel so awful. I have 2 kids home right now and my husband working from home with the stay at home quarantine. Being around the kids makes me feel even more stressed.

Has anyone else has similar issues and gotten better? Or anyone else dealing with constant anxiety and panic? It's really hard not to just cry all the time. I just want to feel normal again.

Antimatter

Antimatter

Hi Mel and welcome. It's panic attacks, and they are manifrestisting on your chest and breathing. Feels like you are having a heart attack, it's horrible. I have suffered for years now, you don't want it setting in. Take some time out if you can, anyway you can. Hopefully it's a one-off. Bless you x

calypso

calypso

Admin
That sounds terrible for you and you will find a lot of people on here relate to your experiences. Did anything trigger this with you? There is a book called "Emotional Hijacking" by Marlene Schneider Potter which is really good and very simply written. Its easy to get to grips with and hasn't got walls of text to wade through. I highly recommend it to help you.

There is also Mindfulness which can help. You might like to look it up on the internet. Its not a quick fix but rather takes practise. We have a very brief intro on here which might help.

B

Black Despondency

Anxiety can cause painful muscles tension. Deep breathing exercises can help a lot. I would talk to a psychologist. Without my medications and even some times with it, I go into fight, flight or freeze and sometimes a normal panic attack, because of my generalized anxiety and social anxiety. The fight or flight sometimes continues for a pretty long time. I didn't realize that it was fight or flight until recently. I just knew I had intense undirected fear and was hyper vigilant. After I calm down from prolonged anxiety I feel like throwing up.

M

Mel123

Thank you all for the advice. I had previously only had to deal with panic attacks maybe once every month or two. I think all the life stress has gotten to me lately. The worst part is when I take do take the Xanax I still will get the panic attacks even with it sometimes.