Feeling like I’m on the edge of another mental breakdown

Reinette

Reinette

Quick history...I was diagnosed with PTSD when I was 17/18 and I’m 21 now. I ended up under a paediatric intensive team sort of thing because I had a psychotic break and started thinking people were going to kill me or poison me and I was completely delusional and was checking all my food for puncture marks etc. I have since been diagnosed with BPD (eurgh!) and OCD and depression and anxiety. I have been on 200mg of Sertraline and 150mg of Quetiapine for awhile now. I have been seeing a clinical psychologist for a little under a year and whilst it’s hard work and really quite trying emotionally it is having some positive impact. My previous psychotic episode was a result of having to go to court to confront my abuser so safe to say it was a result of some real stress!

Over the past few weeks I have had some stress laid on me (the possibility of perhaps being evicted etc) and I feel very much like I did before my big breakdown. I’m not even sure if it’s possible to have a psychotic breakdown when I’m on meds (and I take them religiously) but my panic attacks have gotten worse and I have been really suicidal the past few days. I like and trust my psychologist but had to cancel yesterday due to being ill and I only see him every two weeks but there is only so much he can do. My psychiatrist is a waste of time, I see him every three months and I swear he forgets everything about my case once I walk out the door and he asks all the same questions at every appointment and whenever I ask him to perhaps up my meds or something he never wants to discuss the option or anything.

But I just don’t know what to do as far as going forward and I’m just scared that I am going to have another psychotic episode or major nervous breakdown.

Drooo

Drooo

Well, first of all, the threat of being evicted from your home would put the wind up most people, ill or otherwise, so don't feel bad about that; it's a normal reaction.

Is the situation still uncertain or has it been resolved yet?

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
Stress can worsen mental health, sorry your feeling poorly.
Can you ask for a second opinion for a new psychiatrist? Or if not go down the complaints route, that is what I am doing.
Glad you have some support.
Hope you don't have another breakdown.
Try doing stress relieving activities.
Take care

Reinette

Reinette

Well, first of all, the threat of being evicted from your home would put the wind up most people, ill or otherwise, so don't feel bad about that; it's a normal reaction.

Is the situation still uncertain or has it been resolved yet?
It’s still a little bit up in the air unfortunately. It’s a complicated situation but basically a housing officer has deemed the flat “uninhabitable” and a “fire hazard” and so we have a little over a week to make it “habitable” before we would be made to move etc. It’s a whole thing and too long of a story to go into. But my mum is having to do it all herself because I have no energy and I get nervous about it (hoarding problems) and so she is having to bag things up and take them down 4 flights of stairs and half a mile round trip to a recycling centre and I’m just so scared that we won’t be able to do it.

Sorry for the ranting-esque of this all.

Drooo

Drooo

Ah yes, I heard of that before, it often being a fire hazard. It's understandable because you've got to be able to get out safely and quickly if need be and if you have flammable material all over the place, which is usually the case, then it's basically a death trap. It'll be better for you all to get it dealt with that's for sure, it's just the issues behind the hoarding in the first place and being able to put a stop to that though isn't it.

I'm sure if you get it sorted the threat looming over you will go. It's just regulatory stuff really, they have to tick a box to say that you're living situation is a safe one.

What have your panic attacks been triggered by?

SoftRain

SoftRain

I am so sorry you are feeling so bad.
If in anyway possible you could help your mother I would encourage it.
The work would get done twice as fast and overall I think you would feel much better by contributing in the effort instead of worrying about the situation.
I know it’s easier said then done.
I can’t even tell you the amount of times I could barely pry myself out of the bed to do something in much need of being done. I felt so much better most times because I forced myself through the struggle. Thinking hey I did it! I did it!
But I know it’s soooo difficult. In certain situations I know it might not even be possible. Much love to you.

Last edited:
N

Nightingale77

Hugs.... sorry to hear you are going through some difficult moments right now. The relationship you have with your psychiatrist does sound like a mis-match from what you have described. What is the possibility of you changing the psychiatrist?? Also, how about therapist?? Do you think that will work? Just throwing some ideas in the air for you to consider. Helping your mum out to clear things, getting physically active may help to improve the mood as well. Hope this helps. Keep well and ‘m keeping you in my prayer. God bless....