• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

feeling like crap

M

margarete1967

Founding Member
Hello I am new here.
I have been reading through a few threads and I feel that you are all so encouraging to each other. I hope that you can all help me, maybee give me a few tips even.
Well I have been depressed for about 10 years on and off. January hit me really hard and I just dont know why. I am currently taking 20mg of prozac and am due my first counselling appointment on Tuesday, unsure of what to expect. I also suffer from anxiety (self-diagnosed), this makes my depression feel ten times worse.
I was feeling okay for a while but this last week has put me back to square one and I cant find any reason why. Just want to cry all the time,so down, feel so alone-even though i have family all around. I really hate this feeling, it seems that I am destined to feel like this forever.
I have got over this before but this time it feels so much worse.
Please tell me there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it wont last forever.
I am married with 3 children ages 18, 16 and 11. They all know I suffer with depresion but i try to keep it low key as not to worry them,I think it may be too much for them.
Anyway i just needed to get this off my chest. Just want to feel my old self again but this horrible illness wont let me.
Anybody got any good tips on how to cope with bad days?
Please help.:unsure:

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
can be a horrible illness .. but glad ur reciveing some help. Counselling is a a unique experiance but the thing to do is to go in open minded and not to expect anything. The initial appointment is usually a meet and greet session and gets important housekeeping issues such as confidentiality and expectations etc. Hope it goes well for you! But rmeber never be afraid to ask for more help if you need it.:)

blackdog

blackdog

Founding Member
Hello Margarete and:welcome: I'm always worse after Xmas too, don't know why. There is light at the end of the tunnel, take what help you are offered, try to get some rest and talk to us, we may not have all the answers but we will listen and we're on your side. Take care:hug:

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
:welcome: Margarete and sorry you're having such a rotten time. I have found counsellling generally quite useful - I'm not a great talker so it can be an effort to think of spending an hour talking about myself, but it is amazing what you can think of to talk about. I hope your sessions go well. Don't have any advice about getting through the bad days other than just do whatever it takes to get through them safely and move on to the next day. Keep on keeping on, that's what I say to myself, when it all seems too hard. Take care.

Rollinat

D

Dollit

Hi Margarete - your first counselling session is about your counsellor finding out about you. Some counsellors will help you set an achievable target but the counselling shouldn't be just a set of random conversations, they should be going somewhere. It's nothing to worry about. It could be the best thing that you do. I have bipolar disorder and my depressive episodes are horrendous but I have learned to live with it and there are good ways of coping. I'm glad you've got here, you're very :welcome:

Last edited:
KP1

KP1

Founding Member
(y)Distraction and time for your self might help you cope witht the bad days. I believe inb retail therapy and meeting friends for lunch! I think its too easy to try and isolate yourself when you are depressed which probably isn't good.
I have come to the conclusion though that when the urge to sleep is overwhelmimg its better to give into it.
Writing a blog on here helps as well even if people think I am nuts I don't care!
Hope you feel better soon.

Libra1

Libra1

Founding Member
Hi Margaret and :welcome: to MHF :flowers:

I have recently started counselling, and mine is as described by others here.

First meeting was for introductions and getting to know me. She asked me to keep a daily journal of my moods, which I had started @ beg. of year.

2nd session, I shared my journal with her and she gave me some positive advice on how to cope with home probs affecting my depression. Also supplied me with some sheets to read over on positive thoughts and actions and encouraged me to keep up my deep breathing exercises. I am due to see her again this week.

Will update you, and in the meantime am sending you a :hug:

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
Hi Margaret and :welcome:

There is a light at the end of the tunnel and hopefully the counselling will be of huge benefit to you.

Good luck with everything (y)

M

margarete1967

Founding Member
thank you

Thank you all so much for your encouraging words. Still feel really lousy today, maybee cos my appointment is tomorrow morning. I will let you all know how I get on with my counsellor.
Trying hard to keep busy, plenty of housework to keep me occupied and later this afternoon I am going to go for a walk,I always feel better when I am out in the fresh air.
Once again thank you all I really do appreciate it. its nice to know I arent suffering alone.