• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Feeling like a failure

H

huntsman

Hi

I haven't self harmed in about 3 months, but I'm feeling the urge again, I'm under a lot of stress from school, because I have been slowly loosing the ability to study... It just seems like my attention span has significantly decreased. I have to go 110% just to get average grades, which wasn't the case a couple of years ago...

All my friends tell me I should cheat on tests to get results. But I really don't want to... My friends call me stupid for that...
I have given in to temptation once or twice in the past. But the guilt caused me to self-harm a lot... one of those times the self harm almost turned fatal.

Its gotten to the point that my mother has encouraged me to cheat, saying that everyone does it and I'm never going to get anywhere in life with my grades.

Its really mentally challenging, and I don't know how to handle it... I really am not the type to cheat, out of respect to my professors, and my own honour.

I don't really know where to now... this whole situation has made me feel very depressed, and I feel like a failure in life, and just lost...

please can anyone give advice?

S

StillDepressed

Firstly, well done on going 3 months without self-harm. Breaking the habit is the hardest part, but you now know what helped you stop and you can use this to prevent yourself from doing so again.

If you cheat, one, you will be anxious of getting caught and two you haven't actually learned what you need to for your whatever your next step is. i.e next module/course/job and then you will feel worse if it ends up causing you to be out of depth.

I have been slowly loosing the ability to study... It just seems like my attention span has significantly decreased
This IMO is what you need to focus on.
You sound like you used to have focus, so what's changed?
Is this the way the course is presented? Try You tube videos of the same content.
Is it caused by anxiety/depression? Are you currently being treated for anything, on any medication?
Have your sleeping/eating habits changed?

H

huntsman

Firstly, well done on going 3 months without self-harm. Breaking the habit is the hardest part, but you now know what helped you stop and you can use this to prevent yourself from doing so again.

If you cheat, one, you will be anxious of getting caught and two you haven't actually learned what you need to for your whatever your next step is. i.e next module/course/job and then you will feel worse if it ends up causing you to be out of depth.

This IMO is what you need to focus on.
You sound like you used to have focus, so what's changed?
Is this the way the course is presented? Try You tube videos of the same content.
Is it caused by anxiety/depression? Are you currently being treated for anything, on any medication?
Have your sleeping/eating habits changed?
Hi
Thank you very much for writing

You sound like you used to have focus, so what's changed
-Well studying got a lot harder... my school is of the opinion that, while home cuz of quarantine we have nothing better to do that study and do projects.

-Uhm I'll try... but its a bit hard to find in my native language, (English is my second language), I will try though.

Is it caused by anxiety/depression?
-Probably...

Are you currently being treated for anything, on any medication?
-Not now... my GP has given me very mild calming pills (magnesium), I do talk to my psychologist once a week.

S

StillDepressed

I would speak to your psychologist about your lack of motivation, focus and the urge to self-harm for their advice.

But don't be too hard on yourself, during quarantine and this unusual year we've had I expect many are struggling to focus and motivate themselves

H

huntsman

I would speak to your psychologist about your lack of motivation, focus and the urge to self-harm for their advice.

But don't be too hard on yourself, during quarantine and this unusual year we've had I expect many are struggling to focus and motivate themselves
Thank you... I will