• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Feeling isolated

L

Lilac

Hi I am feeling isolated. I have joined IVC and do have a busy life I just feel my friends the few that I have are pulling away from me and do find it difficult to make friends. I find it very difficult to talk and am generally very quiet.

messymoo

messymoo

Former member
Feeling isolated is hard hun. Is there anyway you could talk to your friends and maybe get the relationships back on track with them? I too am a very quiet person and find it difficult to talk to people and am very isolated. Is there anything you could join or do in your local area that may help you to get out and make new friends? just a thought I do understand how incredibly difficult it is :hug:

L

Lilac

Feeling isolated is hard hun. Is there anyway you could talk to your friends and maybe get the relationships back on track with them? I too am a very quiet person and find it difficult to talk to people and am very isolated. Is there anything you could join or do in your local area that may help you to get out and make new friends? just a thought I do understand how incredibly difficult it is :hug:
Hi Messymoo just considering reembarking on an Italian class that was friendly when I joined last year. We also have health walks in the area which if I can fit one in is good to do. Thanks for the post.

R

ranger

Former member
I have been feeling isolated too lilac. My main problem I find is because I can generally make some conversation for a short period with people I don't know, then they always seem to wonder why I am not working, which is probably the reason too that I find it difficult to meet people who would respect me.

I find because mental health isn't obvious to someone you first meet, that is my major barrier. I have been given a leaflet on going on healthy walks in my area too and I am considering that too.

L

Lilac

I have been feeling isolated too lilac. My main problem I find is because I can generally make some conversation for a short period with people I don't know, then they always seem to wonder why I am not working, which is probably the reason too that I find it difficult to meet people who would respect me.

I find because mental health isn't obvious to someone you first meet, that is my major barrier. I have been given a leaflet on going on healthy walks in my area too and I am considering that too.

Hi Ranger I am sorry you are feeling isolated too. I recommend health walks. I don't go on them much at the mo but had a lot of fun on them and they are really friendly. Our health walk has a social meal where everyone brings something twice a year and did a walking marathon this year where we all got certificates. IVC is Inter Varsity Club they promote themselves partly by saying it's an instant social life. I have been on a couple of meals which have been good. They like members to organise an event which could just be hosting an event you are going to. It's a nationwide organisation. Could be good for you if you are looking to meet people. Ironically enough at the last meal I went to there was a psychiatrist - so it just goes to show who you can meet. It costs £5 for a temporary 3 month membership after which you are automatically invited to join and that costs £30 for a year. They do weekly walks and have a car share list for those without cars or who just want to share a lift.
I am not currently doing the Italian and I would like to be.
Swimming is also really quite sociable I do meet people in the changing rooms to say hello or pass the time of day with. Good luck xx

R

ranger

Former member
Getting back into a bit of exercise lilac. I do have some people around, but when I become unwell that is when I probably isolate myself, but when well I do like my own company.

I have been into swimming in the past and exercise always helps me. Yes you can pass the time of day with people in the sauna or the jacuzzi if there is one. Definitely has picked up my mood recently. I have been to all the different types of social groups in the past. Doesn't suit me. I am more of a one to one person. I like having a good old chinwag, but never really enjoy groups, just because conversation is always a bit random and there will always be certain personalities that dominate. Just the way it works.

Anyway I hope you are ok lilac.

Ranger:)

L

Lilac

Getting back into a bit of exercise lilac. I do have some people around, but when I become unwell that is when I probably isolate myself, but when well I do like my own company.

I have been into swimming in the past and exercise always helps me. Yes you can pass the time of day with people in the sauna or the jacuzzi if there is one. Definitely has picked up my mood recently. I have been to all the different types of social groups in the past. Doesn't suit me. I am more of a one to one person. I like having a good old chinwag, but never really enjoy groups, just because conversation is always a bit random and there will always be certain personalities that dominate. Just the way it works.

Anyway I hope you are ok lilac.

Ranger:)
I am ok thanks and hope you are too. I would like to know what a Forum Volunteer is.
I am quite happy entertaining myself and am normally busy. I have a non sectioned friend who doesn't work, she's rich though.