• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Feeling inferior

S

Stuckinside

Since the beginning of struggling with mental illness, Ive had to battle feeling inferior to others. Like even right now, I’m taking public transport (mind you I barely go outside for this very reason) and I keep comparing myself to other people my age . I feel like I look worse compared to all of these young adults and it’s clear they have things going on in their lives, meanwhile for me, I don’t have a job and I’m doing badly academically. And because I barely have money to spend, my wardrobe sucks. I hate that I have to struggle with this, it makes me seem envious. Does anyone relate?

Kotter

Kotter

i'm on disability for my Bipolar.
it's harsh on my self-esteem, but try to look on the bright side of things.
it could always be worse!

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

Hi @Kotter
Like you, I'm also on disability, but for me it's because of my severe depression. I'm glad they have such a safety net, because I don't know how I would support myself otherwise.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

I'm not sure which comes first: Are you depressed because you have low self-esteem or do you have low self-esteem because you are depressed? Most likely it's a vicious cycle between the two, just as it's a vicious cycle between anxiety and depression.

jajingna

jajingna

This feeling of being somehow less worthy than others appears to be common enough, and maybe more so for people with mental health problems, as those often take a toll on feelings like self-respect. I think it's common for socially anxious people too, who don't feel confident with people. It can be hard to reassure yourself that you are just as worthy as anybody else, that you deserve respect and dignity. A little compassion for yourself and your struggles can help, even when you feel like you somehow deserve whatever is going on. Depression is a good liar, telling you untrue things.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

Hi @jajingna
I agree with you totally when you say, "It can be hard to reassure yourself that you are just as worthy as anybody else..." I struggle with this issue on a daily basis. I don't know how to overcome it.

S

Stuckinside

This feeling of being somehow less worthy than others appears to be common enough, and maybe more so for people with mental health problems, as those often take a toll on feelings like self-respect. I think it's common for socially anxious people too, who don't feel confident with people. It can be hard to reassure yourself that you are just as worthy as anybody else, that you deserve respect and dignity. A little compassion for yourself and your struggles can help, even when you feel like you somehow deserve whatever is going on. Depression is a good liar, telling you untrue things.
This is sadly so incredibly true. It’s harder to reassure myself and I can confirm this is an actual thing because I remember feeling way more confident in myself when I wasn’t clinically depressed. Thank you for the advice though, I’ll keep trying to have more self compassion. I know I have this problem and I’ve tried to feel better about my situation in the past, however, I can relapse esp in social situations. Knowing that I’m not the only one who feels this way makes me feel better and more accepting towards myself though. Have a good day!

S

Stuckinside

I'm not sure which comes first: Are you depressed because you have low self-esteem or do you have low self-esteem because you are depressed? Most likely it's a vicious cycle between the two, just as it's a vicious cycle between anxiety and depression.
I think they influence each other, my low self esteem and anxiety and depression seem to work together to ruin my day lol. But I do recall having a better self esteem before depression, still low, but atleast better.

F

Frankum35

Mental health does take a toll on your Performance overall. So, are you getting help ? Seeing a doctor ? Try not to compare yourself to others. People have different advantages and disadvantages in life. Accomplish your goals 1 step at a time. Feel better soon

J

jsmacks

Since the beginning of struggling with mental illness, Ive had to battle feeling inferior to others. Like even right now, I’m taking public transport (mind you I barely go outside for this very reason) and I keep comparing myself to other people my age . I feel like I look worse compared to all of these young adults and it’s clear they have things going on in their lives, meanwhile for me, I don’t have a job and I’m doing badly academically. And because I barely have money to spend, my wardrobe sucks. I hate that I have to struggle with this, it makes me seem envious. Does anyone relate?

Yes. I relate. I feel inferior to most people I interact with.

What's strange is I'm probably above average financially, somewhat tall, relatively handsome, but still feel inferior like I'm a fake and a phony.

2Much2Feel

Hey, yep, can relate very well. I have to constantly battle this and ask myself what is more important to me, keeping up with others or focusing on things that matter to me in my heart. Highly recommend looking into the buddhist philosophy if you're open to it, helped me a lot with this stuff. Doesn't everyone in NYC take public transport, btw? xx

S

Stuckinside

Mental health does take a toll on your Performance overall. So, are you getting help ? Seeing a doctor ? Try not to compare yourself to others. People have different advantages and disadvantages in life. Accomplish your goals 1 step at a time. Feel better soon
Yeah I am seeing a therapist and will soon see a psychiatrist so I have my fingers crossed that this combo helps me feel better. Thanks for the advice!

S

Stuckinside

Hey, yep, can relate very well. I have to constantly battle this and ask myself what is more important to me, keeping up with others or focusing on things that matter to me in my heart. Highly recommend looking into the buddhist philosophy if you're open to it, helped me a lot with this stuff. Doesn't everyone in NYC take public transport, btw? xx
Hmm 🤔 never thought about Buddhism being able to help, I’ll look into it. And yeah lots of people in NYC take the mta, but there’s also some who drive, that is those that live in a house filled area, have parking, and can afford a car.

2Much2Feel

Hmm 🤔 never thought about Buddhism being able to help, I’ll look into it. And yeah lots of people in NYC take the mta, but there’s also some who drive, that is those that live in a house filled area, have parking, and can afford a car.
One book I always recommend that helped me a lot in first getting into it is Awakening the Buddha Within by Llama Surya Das. Makes it really easy to apply it to life, explains it well. xx