feeling inferior to others x

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Forum Guide
I wondered if people had feelings like they were not as good as other people?
it isn't just that I feel like I could never compare to anyone and compare myself all the time x

I think even if I were clever and beautiful I would feel inferior to others

Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit

I wish you could see you the way I do so you could know that you are so special and precious and a good person xxx

E

EstherRose94

I do feel that way a lot, I was thinking about that today. My default towards most people is that they must be superior to me. Idk why. It is partially just like “you do you, I won’t get in your way”. But SO many people just walk all over that.

There’s this newer girl at work/ lab and I feel kinda threatened by her but realistically we’re both students in the same grad program and I’m like two years ahead of her. She’s one of those people who really puts on a front like she’s the coolest person ever. I know that means she’s insecure but at the same time I don’t like that attitude. It’s like I’m not competing with you. I agree you’re probably better than me, please stop trying to prove that you are.

I also know I need to quit that though because I’m just as good as anyone else 🥰🥰

And so are you! ❤️

Lunus

Lunus

it isn't just that I feel like I could never compare to anyone and compare myself all the time x

It’s the judgements we put on ourselves and others that causes us so much suffering. Try to be kind and compassionate to yourself.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
You are as good as anyone else. We all have our different gifts that we are special at. Yours is giving peace and love and welcoming to people on this forum.
I think a lot of the feeling of being inferior is that we didn’t get enough praise as we were growing up. I always remember my mum saying to me when she saw I got a B in art, why didn’t you get an A. And things like that stick with you.
Believe in yourself Lu. You don’t have to be ultra clever to be a nice person :hug:

G

Girl interupted

No one is good at everything. No one.

What you are good at is a great capacity for kindness and love, even as you struggle.

That, to me, is an exceptional talent that not many have.

Celebrate that.

And frankly? Screw him.

E

EstherRose94

You are as good as anyone else. We all have our different gifts that we are special at. Yours is giving peace and love and welcoming to people on this forum.
I think a lot of the feeling of being inferior is that we didn’t get enough praise as we were growing up. I always remember my mum saying to me when she saw I got a B in art, why didn’t you get an A. And things like that stick with you.
Believe in yourself Lu. You don’t have to be ultra clever to be a nice person :hug:
Haha I think art might have been one class where my parents would have let a B slide like “yeah she really just can’t draw, paint, etc to save her life”.

I never took art after like 6th grade for that reason though, so grading was still like “well, you tried”.

Skynet

Skynet

"Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not to who someone else is today." - Jordan B. Peterson

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

i feel exactly the same for this dates back to when i was a child maybe 5 i was told my countless teachers throughout school i was stupid secluded from the class in the corner alone it was not a good time this still effects me daily if not me actively thinking about it but subconsciously

E

EstherRose94

Ahh. Don’t get me started on issues in the educational system 😅

Your teachers had no idea what they were doing. Don’t let it bother you.

Flameheart (was BPDevil)

Flameheart (was BPDevil)

it wasn't so much school for me, mainly my family and "friend" groups making me feel worthless, my mum always pick my brother over me and wishing she didn't have me as a daughter, friends always end up excluding me and losing interest, I'm never anyone's first choice, if I died tomorrow it wouldn't bother many at all

E

EstherRose94

it wasn't so much school for me, mainly my family and "friend" groups making me feel worthless, my mum always pick my brother over me and wishing she didn't have me as a daughter, friends always end up excluding me and losing interest, I'm never anyone's first choice, if I died tomorrow it wouldn't bother many at all
It’d bother me!! 🥰. I understand that friends losing interest and excluding thing. Never understood why!

Lunus

Lunus

I have very similar thoughts to you. I’m sure my little sister did as well before she took her own life, yet there were around 300 friends and family grieving for her. Makes you think.

Flameheart (was BPDevil)

Flameheart (was BPDevil)

I have very similar thoughts to you. I’m sure my little sister did as well before she took her own life, yet there were around 300 friends and family grieving for her. Makes you think.
sorry about your sister, but no, i share fucked up suicide memes on facebook and no one cares enough to see if im okay, that's proof enough for me that i mean very little

Lunus

Lunus

sorry about your sister, but no, i share fucked up suicide memes on facebook and no one cares enough to see if im okay, that's proof enough for me that i mean very little
:hug::hug:
In fairness most people of Facebook are wankers so don’t bother about them lol. If no one else does, you know you’re valued on here. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

M

Matt1215

Yeah, I feel like I put other peoples happiness over mine because I don't think my own happiness is that important.

Lunus

Lunus

Yeah, I feel like I put other peoples happiness over mine because I don't think my own happiness is that important.
My therapist told me I took responsibility for other people’s feelings and emotions, then proceeded to tell me I’m not! People are responsible for their own thoughts feelings and emotions, not us.

Mayfair

Mayfair

I don't think this is exclusively linked to mental health tbh.

I sometimes pick up rich people in taxi, and they probably have in the bank more than I would need to live rest of my life on, but they just do same...

people say about these people, '' why rich want want more money?'' - it's same thing. I hear it, the other company is doing better than them, so they feel inferior (they don't realise it though, your intelligence Lu is that you understand it more than others). You say you feel inferior, but at every stage in the 'cleverness' league (whatever that is), every one has potential to have.

I also think it's a fine balance, because most people want to do better in life than they are currently in. MI or not.

If I do a poll and ask everyone if they would be happier if they could do more in life? How would it go?

Comparisons: I think everyone does it, and probably sub-consciously do it several times a day, in general. again MI or NOT.

I can answer this BPD (from my view)

I have about 50 friends on FB, and if 45 or 46 of them posted directly that they were going to kill themselves right now. I would not see any of them.

I have notifications turned off for everything except my brother, my mum, and 2 forums that are work related.

I have to actively look for new posts (which I only do if finished other things).

It could be that other do the same, because notifications are annoying?

(luckily in here we can easily choose what we see)