• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Feeling guilty

S

skyblue

This hasn't got anything to do with Bipolar but I'm feeling really guilty.

Somebody reversed into my car on Friday, they left minor scratches on the bumper, bonnet and cracked my registation plate. I managed to just write down the reg before they drove off. They did get out, but only for a small moment to look at the damage, I was across the road.

Because I didn't know if they were a parent from the school or not, I still had to sort things out and get their details from the police station and fill out an incident form.

On Monday, they parked in exactly the same place at the school, (that's when I knew they were one of the parent's).
I parked a couple of parking spaces up, I was going to wait and try and talk to the person, but thought i'd leave it.

I now feel so guilty because this person may get a fine for driving off, we all have enough stress in our lives to have to deal with, than having to deal with things like this. But, this person hasn't gone out of their way and informed the school to try and find me or anything, (so this kind of puts me in two minds) - Though, I do still feel guilty.

Do you think, that if I see the car again tomorrow, and was to wait around for that person and talk to them/swap insurances etc, also let them know about having to get their details from police, if they were to then go down to the Police Station and explain their bit and that we've swapped details, they will let them off the fine ?

I've been worrying about this all night, I really don't want this to be going through the police.

Do you think they will let the person off and not fine them ?

Last edited:
emski

emski

In a word. NO! They reversed into you, had the balls to check it in broad daylight and then drive off. It might only be minor scratches but they could have left their details for you to sort it out amicably.

You are too bloody nice skyblue :) But regardless of what stress they have, you have the stress of having to sort it out now. I think you should stop feeling guilty and let the police deal with it. Honestly. Don't be worrying about their feelings or them getting a fine. They should pay the fine and pay for your repairs

S

skyblue

Thanks for your reply Emski, this is what my partner thinks too. It may complicate things, especially if they deny it.
I seem to worry far too much :(. I can't stand all this worrying, I just want a quiet life.

emski

emski

I know my dear - we do worry. But just think about basic principles of wrong and right. I doubt you would drive off if you had damaged someone's car, however minor the damage :hug:

T

TOONAFISH

Sky i know exactly how your feeling. The fact that you are worring about someone else just goes to show what a caring person you are. The thing is they are in the wrong. They should have come clean. Maybe they will deny it but i would go ahead withh it all the same. I think you should stop feeling guilty (easy to say i know).

Hope it works out. xx

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Bipolar Forum 5
A Bipolar Forum 8
A Bipolar Forum 3
B Bipolar Forum 4
GaryC123 Bipolar Forum 5