• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Feeling guilty about things I've done in my childhood

• Thread starter Mister_Fabulous formerly BetaMale
  • Start date
M

Mister_Fabulous formerly BetaMale

1. When I was in grade school, I ripped up one of my female friends' notebooks, presumably because she hurt me in some way (which obviously does NOT justify what I did). I don't know if she figured out if it was me, but she's married with a kid now, so I hope I didn't hold her from fulfilling her dreams.

2. I used to be this stupid nerd who would write all my notes very neatly. One of my friends, on the other hand, was a slacker whose handwriting wasn't that great. I recall an incident where the teacher made him walk with my notebook and his from bench to bench, so that all the students could compare our writing. In retrospect, the only person who was at fault here was the female teacher, who was obviously a sadist. This friend of mine has every right to hate me, but we're still in touch, sometimes.

I used to be this monster, although most of it started after my own childhood physical abuse.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

Those don't sound like anything really horrible but I do understand the guilt of past things.

There's some things I've apologized for to get rid of the guilt and make amends. There's many others though that I still have to carry around. I worked on those in therapy and have forgiven myself for most of them.

T

Thelma27

I feel guilty everyday for not being around for my pet dog who lay dieing whilst I slept through out the night but I often ask God to reunite us in the next life because he was my only friend at the time and a wonderful companion that I feel so guilty for letting him down so please don't feel guilty none of us are perfect and we have all done silly things whilst in school don't over think things it will only make you ill

introverted_drummer

introverted_drummer

Like SunnyDaze said, none of those things sound too horrible, but I can completely relate to feeling guilty for things you've done in your childhood. If I had a list of all the things I hate myself for having done during my childhood, it would probably take up a whole thread on here lol.

A lot of times, people who were abused lash out at others. Not condoning it of course, but I think a lot of people who are struggling with trauma issues go through that at some point. I certainly did.

When I was a child, I didn't have a very established moral compass, probably because the only things I was exposed to were bullying at school and abuse at home, so I didn't know there was a "right" way to interact with people. I figured it out when I got older and got into therapy. Nowadays I get very uncomfortable if I feel like I witness someone doing something immoral. But it took a lot of work to get to the point of knowing what was right and wrong. My behavior as a kid was appalling and I wish I could erase it.