• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

feeling forced into self medication - again

S

spuntree

well trying to stick to the medication that I am prescribed rather than just helping myself, but what do you do when your shrink wont prescibe you something as simple as a sleeping tablet? been up all night, tried self medicating, took some tamazepam and diazepam that was here in the house, but nope, no sleep. now i don't know what to do, tonight i can either drink myself into a coma or take chunks of old seroquel and mirtazipine that i have lying around, even though i am not supposed to be on them any more.

it just feels like the shrink just isn't giving me a fair chance of recovery just taking the medication prescribed.

don't know whether to try my own GP, or maybe have a word with my CPN she seems quite good at getting other things sorted.

self medication always leads to problems in the end

gray

gray

Have you had a drug addiction problem before? (including alcohol)

S

spuntree

yea pot and alcohol - never saw it as drugs - just medication!

am really trying to stick with the program but i'm so worn out with not sleeping

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
My doctor wouldn't prescribe me sleeping tablets either.Probably because I have a history of cannabis and alcohol use.
I'm not drinking much alcohol these days.I'm on a diet.I do smoke cannabis though.
Are you from the USA spuntree?

schiz01

schiz01

Hi Spuntree
Good to see your out of hospital
Im not surprised you cant sleep after everything you have been through :hug:. Give yourself time to settle.I certainly wouldn't be adding anything else to the mix as you could end up doing some serious damage to your self.
Ring your CPN and see if she can get the doctor to prescribe something.
You have to do this the right way for yourself and your son

Last edited:
A

Ainsworth

My doctor wouldn't prescribe me sleeping tablets either.Probably because I have a history of cannabis and alcohol use.
I'm not drinking much alcohol these days.I'm on a diet.I do smoke cannabis though.
Are you from the USA spuntree?
my doctor gave me both sleeping tablets and diazepam, knowing i use weed, abuse diazepam and drink. :unsure:

spuntree, i do the same as you with the self med, exactly the same drugs. as schiz01 says, phone your doctor and get an adjustment the meds your on now. I have to wait till next week to know whats happening with my treatment.

goodluck :hug:

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
I can't get prescribed sleepers for love nor money!! I've never had any probs withs drugs or alcohol, they just won't prescribe them. I was doing what you are and taking old seroquel but I've none of that left now so I'm only getting about 2 hours sleep a night. I was just thinking today that I don't know how much longer I can go on like this, it just doesn't seem worth it.

keepsafe

keepsafe

I would make a trip to your g.p amd tell them about self medication - they know that alcohol isn;t the right thing to get you to sleep - that way you may get some sleepers - worth a try.

I have some zopiclone - but don;t think I will be getting anymore soon as they just keep saying they are addictive now, but my arguement is well isn;t the other stuff they are wanting us to take like the a.d's, a.p's etc.

Yeah what do they know!
A lot more than me - sorry - you know what I mean - it makes me mad - perhaps I shouldn;t post just now

S

spuntree

Hi, yes I got out of hospital yesterday, was quite shocking my partner used that power of discharge and they let me out right away but with no medication apart from an injection before they let me out and some pills incase I go stiff or something. That seems to be working ok, not quite as off my trolly as I have been, but the no sleep is a right pain. After all this being in hospital and getting medication sorted it seems mental to be drinking yourself to sleep smoking weed and taking old bits of meds that you find lying around.

My CPN is coming on Thursday so maybe if I have a chat to her about it then, she moved quick enough to get me on depot.

I do wonder why they are so reluctant to give medications that you really need because they are addictive when they are pumping you full of toxins over long periods anyway.

I do have a history with some benzos so maybe thats why, the few times I have been given them I have ended up drinking a bottle of vodka with them and taking way too many, but I have changed since then and am trying to do things the right way now, just doing a really shit job of it lol

need sleeeeeeep :eek:

J

jamesdean

I had a right lecture by psych last week about temazepam fuckem For all my adult life of being an insominac my doctor just recently let me have some n already the psych's on my case.

keepsafe

keepsafe

Good luck - glad you are out of the hospital

:hug:

gray

gray

Yeah if you have a history of addiction usually they won't give you them because sleeping pills are known to be highly addictive. They don't want you to end up being completely dependent on them to get by and just like any drug you take regularly you start needing more and more to get the same effects.

I would speak to a GP etc. and just say if they can't give you sleeping pills they need to help you somehow because you're desperate.

Maybe try some herbal remedies or relaxation techniques e.g. use the smell of something you enjoy that you find soothing etc. It may not help you get to sleep but it should get you more relaxed atleast?

schiz01

schiz01

Hi, yes I got out of hospital yesterday, was quite shocking my partner used that power of discharge and they let me out right away but with no medication apart from an injection before they let me out and some pills incase I go stiff or something. That seems to be working ok, not quite as off my trolly as I have been, but the no sleep is a right pain. After all this being in hospital and getting medication sorted it seems mental to be drinking yourself to sleep smoking weed and taking old bits of meds that you find lying around.

My CPN is coming on Thursday so maybe if I have a chat to her about it then, she moved quick enough to get me on depot.

I do wonder why they are so reluctant to give medications that you really need because they are addictive when they are pumping you full of toxins over long periods anyway.

I do have a history with some benzos so maybe thats why, the few times I have been given them I have ended up drinking a bottle of vodka with them and taking way too many, but I have changed since then and am trying to do things the right way now, just doing a really shit job of it lol

need sleeeeeeep :eek:
Benzo's and alcohol can be a lethal mix......lots of people have died from mixing the Two.That's another reason doctors don't like prescribing them.

Before mixing any drugs you should find out if there is a possibility of an adverse reaction.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Other 3
Tamziie93 Other 10
F Other 3