• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Feeling extremely triggered

L

Lucce1998

Hi everyone.
I developed anorexia when I was 14 (I'm 23 now) and started a very slow and limited recovery about a year after (I received no professional help); although I gained weight and became less restrictive with food and obsessive about exercise, I feel like I never really overcame the mental side of it and there is still a large element of control it exercises in my life. I found I just learnt to live with it and managed to push aside disordered thoughts for the most part. However over the last year or so I have put on some weight and honestly this is really triggering me. Before I didn't mind the weight gain so much because I was still quite petite and toned, however recently, due to injuries preventing me from running as much and the gyms being closed due to covid, my body has changed and I am feeling so triggered by this. I have pretty short legs, so any weight gain is noticeable and my thighs make me feel so disgusted. I was looking at pictures of me from a few years ago and I can't believe how much my body has changed and how much weight I have put on. I look at pictures of myself now and my face has filled out so much - all of my nice bone structure gone and I don't even recognise myself. I feel like this isn't my body. I was in denial about how much fat I've gained and today started taking photos of my legs and I was so shocked at how they look now I started self-harming because I feel so ashamed and embarrassed that I look like that. I don't know what to do, obviously I don't want to go down that dark path again but I genuinely feel like I'm never going to accept or be happy with my body. I am surrounded by my friends who have long, slim legs and I feel so thick and stumpy around them, I am constantly comparing my legs to other women my age. It doesn't help that I always have to get my jeans tailored in order to fit me, even though I order the shortest length, which just confirms to me that I have horrible short legs compared to everyone else and I feel that the only way I can like them again is if I lose the weight. Sorry for all the negativity but I feel this is something I need to let out. Does anyone else still struggle accepting their healthier bodies?

Marrex

Marrex

I have no experience with eating disorders, but my sympathies are with you. Here's to hoping someone is able to help. :) Also, I see you're relatively new to these forums, so welcome!

H

Huckleberry

Hi everyone.
I developed anorexia when I was 14 (I'm 23 now) and started a very slow and limited recovery about a year after (I received no professional help); although I gained weight and became less restrictive with food and obsessive about exercise, I feel like I never really overcame the mental side of it and there is still a large element of control it exercises in my life. I found I just learnt to live with it and managed to push aside disordered thoughts for the most part. However over the last year or so I have put on some weight and honestly this is really triggering me. Before I didn't mind the weight gain so much because I was still quite petite and toned, however recently, due to injuries preventing me from running as much and the gyms being closed due to covid, my body has changed and I am feeling so triggered by this. I have pretty short legs, so any weight gain is noticeable and my thighs make me feel so disgusted. I was looking at pictures of me from a few years ago and I can't believe how much my body has changed and how much weight I have put on. I look at pictures of myself now and my face has filled out so much - all of my nice bone structure gone and I don't even recognise myself. I feel like this isn't my body. I was in denial about how much fat I've gained and today started taking photos of my legs and I was so shocked at how they look now I started self-harming because I feel so ashamed and embarrassed that I look like that. I don't know what to do, obviously I don't want to go down that dark path again but I genuinely feel like I'm never going to accept or be happy with my body. I am surrounded by my friends who have long, slim legs and I feel so thick and stumpy around them, I am constantly comparing my legs to other women my age. It doesn't help that I always have to get my jeans tailored in order to fit me, even though I order the shortest length, which just confirms to me that I have horrible short legs compared to everyone else and I feel that the only way I can like them again is if I lose the weight. Sorry for all the negativity but I feel this is something I need to let out. Does anyone else still struggle accepting their healthier bodies?
Sounds like an addiction. Like I'm addicted to cigarettes and it will be a life long battle to stay quit. Some with alcohol, once you have alcoholism it never goes away. So it may get easier and you may get some very testing times. A lot of it is in your head too. I hope you can feel better about yourself