• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Feeling down and anxious

R

Rider52

Last week I was keeping busy and sleeping well. Then over the weekend I started to feel really down again. Then the low mood, fatigue started with some trouble concentrating. I was really tired last night got a few hours sleep and woke up restless this morning. I'm just sick of feeling a little better and then down again.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I think this is normal. Sometimes we can overdo it or even not do enough, and that can have a big effect on mood.

Sunlight and exercise has a huge effect too

As does diet. If you are not getting all of your vitamins (from food), drinking enough water to help your organs, getting your heart pumping and circulation moving, then you won't feel well.

Good food good mood

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
You may also need your medication checking, if you are taking any

T

treasurebox

Music therapy is good and therapeutic. I listen to good songs daily to help me think and feel better.

These songs from youtube are helping me:

Overcomer by Mandisa
Good morning by Mandisa
Fearless by Jasmine Murray
Don't worry be happy by Bob Marley
I believe I can fly by R Kelly
Happy by William Pharrell

It will be good for you to listen to good music everyday or as needed.

Also, one thing that is helping me is doing a hobby or doing what I love to do. What do you love to do or what are you good at? Is it doing arts and crafts, baking, gardening, writing etc.? Do it. It will not only keep your mind busy but it will also make you happy.

When a negative thought or feeling come your way, brush it off by thinking of good and positive thoughts.
Remember, you were born to be happy.

Stardust2020

Stardust2020

I feel the same way. I’m sick of my life. The ‘feeling a bit better’ times don’t build or lead to substantive change.
Don’t have advice, just feel that I may understand. How could you not be tired of doing okay and then having the rug yanked out, repeatedly. I am sorry you are living this most difficult path. I’m glad you reached out.

daddyspader

daddyspader

The highs and lows are so awful, and make it worse when I am at a low. When I am happy, I constantly wonder when it is going to end, and when it does end it makes me feel like a worthless POS because my husband always comments about not understanding why I feel so bad. I wish I could explain how I feel, but honestly a lot of the time I don't know how, and I don't know what is triggering my depression. Sometimes it just hits me so hard my body actually aches, and I just feel so heavy in my chest and stomach.

Stardust2020

Stardust2020

I want so much to be understood, but have almost given up. It’s hard for me to understand this illness sometimes. Now I suggest people research major depression to better understand my illness. I’ve also suggested support groups for family members. No one has gone. I have a family member with a medical illness not mental health related and everyone hops over themselves to help. I know I’m no fun to be around when I need support the most. Those close to me avoid me. It hurts.

M

Mary on the hill

Music therapy is good and therapeutic. I listen to good songs daily to help me think and feel better.

Overcomer by Mandisa
Good morning by Mandisa

Also, one thing that is helping me is doing a hobby or doing what I love to do. What do you love to do or what are you good at? Is it doing arts and crafts, baking, gardening, writing etc.? Do it. It will not only keep your mind busy but it will also make you happy.

When a negative thought or feeling come your way, brush it off by thinking of good and positive thoughts.
Good ideas, but i am so depressed that there is nothing at all that i enjoy to do. I try reading books, but i can't finish the page. I used to enjoy taking a hot bath with bubble soap, but now i don't enjoy that either. I used to enjoy smoking an Indian beedie cigarette, but i don't anymore. I can't find anything i enjoy. Years ago i made homemade soap, and wine and had a garden. I feel now that everything is pointless. Well i am 70 now and figure i will be dead in ten years anyway, so why bother anymore? My motto is Old Age, Misery and Death is all i have to look forward too. Everything seems so pointless. I was ok a year ago and just hanging on, but i had some things i enjoyed, but now with my husband abandoning me and i am very poor now i got real depressed. I just got on SSI, but it's only $800 a month. My car loan is $200, then there are other bills. I am waiting for Family Court, but they are slow cuz of the virus. I am in limbo now and worry about the winter, and paying my house tax. I spent next yrs tax money to live on cuz he stopped supporting me in May. So i have depression and anxiety due to my being alone and having no money. I was ok before this happened - well, hanging on. Now i am over the edge.

R

Rider52

Overcomer by Mandisa
Good morning by Mandisa

Hi, I usually spend time in nature, ride my bicycle for excercise, walk my dog, go fishing, etc. I'm trying my best to be positive. Sometimes I feel it helps me and other times I don't feel well again.

Stardust2020

Stardust2020

Hi, It seems understandable that you are over the edge being alone, with court pending and financial insecurity. Depression and anxiety are hard enough when life is relatively stable.
I got a social worker through my primary care physician. Fortunately she was a good resource, came to my home, called me weekly and had information about organizations that provide rides, food pantries, day programs (free or free if on Medicare). There are also free weekly meals for pick up and some activities starting again (after months closed due to covid) in my town’s senior recreation center. I hope you can find some support to help through the overwhelming things you are facing.
I am 10 years younger than you, without children or meaningful friendships. I relate to living unhappily until death and feeling like things are pointless.
If you live another 10 years... a decade is a long time. I know that everything becomes harder as I age.
You said you were ok/hanging on before all this. I hope you can get some support during this - I can’t imagine how hard- time. Maybe there will be a ‘new normal’ that you come to that is ok. I hope so. Best of luck and a big hug.

M

Mary on the hill

Thankyou so much for writing and helping. I really appreciate it. I do have enough food. I just dont feel like cooking. I eat simple fast things. I would like some scrambled eggs with cheese, but no energy to fry them up. I go to the store and get a slice of pizza Or a fast burger. At least it's food in my stomach. I am super worried about winter as i have no one to shovel my long walkway. I will ask the neighbor to plow for me, but he won't do it everyday. I may put an ad in the paper looking for someone to shovel. I live in the country and winter is horrible. I am worried about winter in the future.

Stardust2020

Stardust2020

Thankyou so much for writing and helping. I really appreciate it. I do have enough food. I just dont feel like cooking. I eat simple fast things. I would like some scrambled eggs with cheese, but no energy to fry them up. I go to the store and get a slice of pizza Or a fast burger. At least it's food in my stomach. I am super worried about winter as i have no one to shovel my long walkway. I will ask the neighbor to plow for me, but he won't do it everyday. I may put an ad in the paper looking for someone to shovel. I live in the country and winter is horrible. I am worried about winter in the future.
I eat simple/ easy things too. Ready- made to microwave food, like that. I use paper plates or a paper towel to make it easier. No dishes to do.
It sounds like the coming winter is a big concern for you. I live near a Great Lake & usually there’s a ton of snow. Last winter there was very little. It’s good that you’re considering different options now. There is time to figure out how to get your long walkway shoveled. Putting in an ad, or looking at ads/services sounds like a good start. I’m glad your neighbor will plow for you some days at least. Asking about that may also help a little with your worry about the bad winter coming.
Sending you caring thoughts and a virtual hug.

T

TyFence

I am up a lot because Jesus. He died to forgive my sins; H
e works in my life to keep it meaningful. His word is a wise old book full of interesting, meaningful life. That and hobby and wife and friend and activities keep me up. And prayer and worship songs and study. I have a lot of things to feel good about. I struggle at times but still standing at end of day. The Lord say ,good,. My eyes doing bad now, but working on it. Say ,good,. The Lord is good to me plus I have patience. Uh oh now I’m going to be tested. It all right. He help me.

M

Mary on the hill

I eat simple/ easy things too. Ready- made to microwave food, like that. I use paper plates or a paper towel to make it easier. No dishes to do.
It sounds like the coming winter is a big concern for you. I live near a Great Lake & usually there’s a ton of snow. Last winter there was very little. It’s good that you’re considering different options now. There is time to figure out how to get your long walkway shoveled. Putting in an ad, or looking at ads/services sounds like a good start. I’m glad your neighbor will plow for you some days at least. Asking about that may also help a little with your worry about the bad winter coming.
Sending you caring thoughts and a virtual hug.
I dont have a microwave, but use a toaster oven. I live near the great lakes too in NY and i live up on a hilltop and we get a lot of snow here. Winter is my big concern. When i do a little shoveling i have to shovel on my knees cuz my back is bad, so of course i worry. I don't want to be trapped in the house and can't go to the store for food. I didn't think of putting an ad in the Penny Saver paper. Glad you mentioned it!! I was gonna put a note in peoples mail box. I like the ad idea better.

I am trying to push my ex to divorce me as i know i will get social security, pension, some alimony and 15 yrs of his 401k. It would save my life. He is going to ask his bro for a loan so he can divorce me. He has to file first , then the legal aid will help me fast for free. Waiting for court to open for spousal support is taking forever. If it was not for this total abandonment i would be ok. I was near the edge before, but able to function. Now i went over the edge. I had so much anxiety at first that i felt like i was gonna jump out of my skin. It's not as bad now cuz i will be getting SSI and at least have some money for gas and food. I am not paying my electric or my trash. My neighbor is taking my trash. I can only pay the car loan and my cable bill since the computer and phone is on it. I don't want to lose it.

Ex said he will ask bro for money very soon. Oh, i found a guy to live with me for the winter, he drinks, but i don't want to be alone all winter. I will go crazy for sure and jump out of my skin. He will keep me company. He is real quiet. He has a bad hip so he can't shovel for me, but at least will be company. He can have my bedroom. I sleep on the couch for 5 yrs now. I feel trapped in the back bedroom so won't sleep in there anymore.

P

Prycejosh1987

Last week I was keeping busy and sleeping well. Then over the weekend I started to feel really down again. Then the low mood, fatigue started with some trouble concentrating. I was really tired last night got a few hours sleep and woke up restless this morning. I'm just sick of feeling a little better and then down again.
Sounds like major stress. Moods will always go up and down. People who are depressed and people who are not, deal with this. Just stay focused.