• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Feeling depressed after exercise

R

redcp

So I have bipolar 2 and for the most part stable (yay) however i am trying to lead a healthy life style and came across this problem. when i do cardio type workouts i feel depressed afterwards for up to a day or two as it progressively gets better.
however when i do bodybuilding i do not feel depressed after....... in fact i feel pretty good after.
so i am posting this to see if anyone else has see this in their life and if maybe there is a solution?

Wandering2

Wandering2

Its possible your heart might be going up too fast. I have to take a beta blocker to slow my heart rate, its in the hundreds resting for no apparent reason. I would understand it correlating with anxiety more so than depression. I would get a physical from your regular doctor, to check everything including blood work. Cardio will increase the heart rate and since body building doesn't, you might need a beta blocker. Just an idea, hope your doctor can help you.

pandr oid

pandr oid

So I have bipolar 2 and for the most part stable (yay) however i am trying to lead a healthy life style and came across this problem. when i do cardio type workouts i feel depressed afterwards for up to a day or two as it progressively gets better.
however when i do bodybuilding i do not feel depressed after....... in fact i feel pretty good after.
so i am posting this to see if anyone else has see this in their life and if maybe there is a solution?
Running is definitely a strong anti-depressant for me...
I usually run 2 times per week for 45min at a good pace so that I feel tired afterwards...
Bodybuilding has no direct psychological effect on me, however body appearance and strength can have a certain impact on my self-esteem and overall health...