Feeling anxious

J

JSB

Hi, just wondered if anyone could give advice on how to avoid exaggerating scenarios to the worst possible, but unlikely, outcomes?

For example, my latest bout of anxiety is related to fieldwork I completed last week, in which my PhD supervisor came out to see me. Baring in mind that I am a first year PhD student, and this is my first project that I am leading, I was criticised for certain aspects of how I undertook it (such as note taking). During the trip my supervisor emphasised that his motive was to guide me and apologised for sounding harsh, while emphasising that critical comments were aimed to underline the importance of doing it correctly for future reference, so deep down I know it wasn't anything ultra-serious.

However, it has not alleviated worries fully and I now have a meeting with him tomorrow to discuss the fieldwork and how it can be improved for future cases. Like I say, I know that this is not going to be an attack on me or anything, and is done with the best intentions. However, the irrational part of me has me anxious over this and envisaging scenarios in which my worst worries come true, and my low opinions of myself are met by others. I am perhaps paranoid that the negative opinions I hold of myself, where I think I am useless or not good enough, will be matched and that this will be the beginning of a slippery slope towards failure. It is affecting how I am right now, as I am struggling to motivate myself to do anything due to constant intrusive thoughts and worries.

Like I say, there is a part of me that knows that this is melodramatic and ridiculous, but how do I keep it at bay so that it doesn't effect my life as it is doing right now, both for this instance and for future occurrences where I may feel like this?

J

JSB

I try to, but sometimes it's so damn hard when I feel anxious when distracted. No doubt it will pass tomorrow with nothing traumatic occurring, and I'll feel relieved until something else trivial crops up to make me worry needlessly.

H

Helen1960

Have you tried CBT. It helped me a great deal. I struggle to use it when I'm actually ill with anxiety but when I'm keeping ok it really helps.

Helen x

J

JSB

I have not, but have had it recommended. Meditation has worked, but the nagging feeling is still there for it to be an annoyance. I will see if I feel better after tomorrow, but the feeling of an ever-present thing to be worried about has been there for a few weeks now and would rather it not be there. Fortunately my anxiety is not as bad as when I was at my lowest ebb in 2017-early 2018, but it's something I am monitoring. I am definitely coping better than I once did, but I just wish I didn't need to have to cope and could just brush off the anxieties like others seem to do.

J

JSB

The meeting's been and gone and that is done.

However, I am still feeling anxious and I am struggling to cope. My PhD supervisor has asked for a meeting on Thursday to go over results for my work. I know, deep down, that this is to help, but I am now feeling very anxious about it for irrational reasons. All the worst case scenarios are going on in my head and when doing the work I'm scared to commit because I fear I'll do something wrong. It's silly, I know I can do it like I've done stuff before, but all I can do about it is worry right now and I keep trying to fight the tears generated by this feeling of impending doom and I don't know what to do to cope.