Feeling anxious about going to therapy

wolram

wolram

It is only 3 days before I start therapy and I am terribly worried some thing will go wrong, have any one of you been?
whats it like? It is miles form my home so I can't just walk out, they have their own doctor there what will he do?

Luci

Luci

What type of therapy are you having? Do you have anyone who could go with you and wait outside? If you feel uncomfortable at any point you will be able to leave :) maybe give them a call first and let them know how you feel about it so they know what to expect when you arrive?

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

I remember being very anxious about my first office visit with a therapist, worry is rather common - and I won't tell you not to worry because I know it's not a choice and it's unhelpful to try and dismiss anxiety.

Uncertainty is the food of anxiety. You can suffer a little less by accepting the fact that you're anxious rather than resisting it by trying to force the thoughts from your mind.

Give your worry some of your attention, maybe an hour or so and then give yourself a break from it: "there. I worried about my appointment, Ive addressed my anxiety today I can take some time off of worrying."
To calm your mind say to yourself, "whatever happens or doesn't happen at my therapy appointment, I'm going to come out of it okay" - and okay means not significantly worse than you presently are.

A therapy session is for the most part, you talking about you. The first session is really just your counselor getting to know a bit about you. Therapists have listened to people problems of all kinds, from A to Z so nothing you say about yourself is going to surprise or bewilder him or her.

wolram

wolram

What type of therapy are you having? Do you have anyone who could go with you and wait outside? If you feel uncomfortable at any point you will be able to leave :) maybe give them a call first and let them know how you feel about it so they know what to expect when you arrive?
It is a day therapy for depression, I have to attend for 6 weeks 6hrs a day:panic:

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Wow that’s hard going woolie. Is that mon to Friday. The only time I’ve attended anything like that I was a day patient so I had to go in everyday to avoid hospital . But the sessions would only last one or two hours. The rest of the day was taken up with art therapy and some games:hug:

Luci

Luci

I know its daunting but they will have lots of experience of working with people who feel the same way you do, when you get settled and used to the environment you may enjoy it?

Do you know how you are going to get there and back? You could ring ahead and ask what the structure of the day will be, how many people will be there etc to try and ease some of the unknown?

wolram

wolram

I know its daunting but they will have lots of experience of working with people who feel the same way you do, when you get settled and used to the environment you may enjoy it?

Do you know how you are going to get there and back? You could ring ahead and ask what the structure of the day will be, how many people will be there etc to try and ease some of the unknown?
Hi Luci
I have to travel 15 miles to the nearest city and I am being picked and bought back by car thanks to the crisis team.
I hope I do enjoy it, if I do not then I won't go.

wolram

wolram

Wow that’s hard going woolie. Is that mon to Friday. The only time I’ve attended anything like that I was a day patient so I had to go in everyday to avoid hospital . But the sessions would only last one or two hours. The rest of the day was taken up with art therapy and some games:hug:
Its 3 days a week daffy wed, thur , frid, for 6 hrs a day:panic:

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
It’s still a long time but I suppose you’ll stop for an hour for lunch. It’s good that there picking you up. They used to do that at the day hospital but was told that they don’t anymore and you have to find your own way

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Forum Guide
hi it has been a long time since I had therapy x I hope you find it a really beneficial and productive experience and you get a lot from it
keep us posted love Lu xxxx

T

Tomorrows a new day

Going to therapy for the first time makes you nervous because you may talk about things that make you uncomfortable, it's a natural reaction. It's a fact that most men would rather kill themselves before they talk about their problems, now isn't that a big shame, you'll be ok

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

That sounds like an intensive outpatient program.
You'll get through this. Whether it's helpful of not remains unclear but you're going to survive it.

L

Lora

I hated the thought of therapy and felt ill at just the thought of going I reluctantly dragged my feet and actually looking back it helped and I started to look forward to going The anxiety of the unknown was the worst bit. Hope it's positive for you too 😊

wolram

wolram

So I have been twice now and I must say it is a doddle the actual course is only 3 hrs a day
the rest of the time is spent in the canteen, I do not know if it will do me any good yet just have to wait and see i suppose.

L

Lora

Wishing you a positive experience and that it improves your levels of anxiety . The more times I went the more familiar I became with my surroundings so I felt less anxious and I had a good therapist that taught mindfulness which helped a lot. Keep me posted thinking about you 😊