• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Feeling a little lost..

V

Vickla1988

I got diagnosed with bipolar about 2 weeks ago during a hypomanic episode. since then i have started medication and am currently on 600mg seroquel xl at night. What i a finding most difficult is not knowing what is going on. My psychiatrist hasnt told me much and the crisis team visit me daily. I feel i am being constantly watched and i dont get much information! for example, whats going to happen next? will i always be on this dose? what if these tablets dont work? why are the crisis team visiting me daily? i feel like everyones doing what they're supposed to, but i feel left out of the loop somewhere.
Also im not sure if my medication is working well. the only improvment i have actually got is having a good nights sleep, as opposed to before when i was only getting 3 hours max. Im still extremly energetic, always agitated and irritable, i have trouble concentrating and my memory is awful. I also have a lot of trouble in social situations, and have often been told that im being rude.

Im not really sure where this thread is going, but i just feel so isolated and confused.
Does anyone else feel this way? and if so what did you do about it?

T

the burd

newly diagnosed...my thoughts

I have been diagnosed with Bipolar for 8 years now so feel ok to reply. I think you may be still in shock...its early days. When I was first diagnosed I felt many feelings. loss being the biggest, fear, denial, stigma, will I recover, abandoned, I lost friends but probably needed to loose them! I had been I think quite high for a year and just got increasingly driven, goal orientated, exercising alot, aiming for perfection but that doesn't exist! After my diagnosis it took time to accept and I mean years. It has taken learning and practice with trying to find the right balance in life. But I've got to a better place now with it. I feel an individual needs to learn about themselves and the condition, how they 'tick' - to gain insight into the warning signs and triggers that can lead to mania or Depression etc or just what happens to you. Self help books can help but depends on the person - I'm new to this webpage so learning from this too.

I take 300mcg and 500 Depakote just at night just now, it helps me sleep. That's still a problem for me. Otherwise I'm just like most folk, trying to cope with the natural ups and downs of life! It sounds like you are just beginning the learning of staying well or self managing your symptoms. I went to a course by Bipolar Scotland and it helped alot. I also seek out learning to cope. I hope things get better from now on, bye for now, :hug:

T

teddybear2067

Hope I can help a bit =)

The good news is that now that you've been diagnosed, you are definately on the right path. However I can say with some certainty that it's going to get worse before it gets better.
It may help if you're warned beforehand that you will be feeling lost and confused for a very long time. Not all the time, mind you - mainly on your low days. But it will last for a while and just as weaggielass said, it's going to take years.
I'm sure the word 'years' sounds daunting and horrible, but trust me when I say it's only going to be on the bad days. On the good days you'll be too happy to think about your condition. Of course your medication may change your feelings slightly, I can't know about that.
The important thing to remember is that you're not alone. Other people have been through this, and it helps so much to talk about it to people who understand. Therapists and keeping diaries are a way to vent, which also helps. But these forums are filled with understanding and experienced people, who can give you so much help. Don't be afraid to post your worries and your concerns.
Take your time to learn about youself. What makes your mood shift, what you need to do to change it back, how much time you need. It's an important time of self-discovery, and I know the future seems bleak right now, but you will reach the other side eventually. I'm simultaneously cursed with bad memory problems, but also blessed that I can't really remember all of what happened to me during my diagnosis. But I have six years worth of diaries to trigger my memories!
Good luck xxx :hug:

jax

jax

The crisis team - or home treatment team as they are called here - are there to give you support and keep you out of hospital. They are coming daily most likely as you said - you are still a little high. Once you start to stabilise, they will come out less and less. They are on your side and are there to help you out. Ask them any questions that you have or any worries. They are qualified to answer them.
If you are stabilised on your current dose of Seroquel - you'll likely be on that for some time. It may eventually be reduced - but you will need to have been stable for some time usually before that happens. Don't worry - getting a diagnosis is one of the more difficult things - once diagnosed - your psychiatrist will know how to treat you and keep you well.
X x X :grouphug:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Bipolar Forum 5
A Bipolar Forum 8
A Bipolar Forum 3
B Bipolar Forum 4
GaryC123 Bipolar Forum 5