Feeling a bit hopeless after trying numerous SSRIs to no avail

S

smojob

Hi, I've suffered with bad anxiety my whole life, which I often describe as my personal, secret prison. My life is seriously impacted by it to a point I describe it as my personal, secret prison. Wasn't till the last 10 years that I opted to try medication based on my Dr's recommendations. I've tried about 4 different SSRIs, Wellbutrin, and an SNRI of Effexor. None of them really seemed to give much relief, and the little relief they did offer seemed to stop after some months. The bigger problem for me was the fact they all made very tired and unmotivated to a point I wasn't enjoying things in my life that gave me pleasure. I'm really done with this SSRI/SNRI roller coaster for the reasons mentioned and am about to stop my current medication of Effexor. After a bad anxiety issue recently, my Dr. suggested I see a psychiatrist. Now with my decision to avoid SSRIs, etc., would a psychiatrist really offer me any relief? I know I have a problem, but based on my personal experience with psych meds, I feel I might do just better, or at least no worst, staying away from all medication.

I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

:welcome: to the forum. Most medications don't work for me either. I hope we can finally get on the right ones and get better. :hug:

Cazcat

Cazcat

The psychiatrist can help you to access other treatment options such as a clinical psychologist if they think this is appropriate. The worst anxiety I've ever had was eventually diagnosed as PTSD, that didn't respond well to medications either, but responded brilliantly to an EMDR type treatment. The psychiatrist also has a lot more specific knowledge of medications than the GP and may have other suggestions of things that may help from that perspective too. You've got nothing to lose by trying this route.

frogsplash

frogsplash

smojob i wouldnt give up on medication just yet because there are other things for you to try out there, why not give them a go, nothing to lose....

two more meds to try for your anxiety which are not the same class as the typical ssri/snri meds are:

1. pregabalin
2. mirtazapine (take at night if it makes you drowsy)