• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Feel like quitting my job

S

shanti

I am working from home in customer service. I started this job in May. It's the longest i've held a job.

I feel like quitting most days.

I have another job starting in September. It's a software engineering job. They will train me to write code.

I feel kind of depressed and want to end it sometimes. I feel sad that I have never been in a relationship and never will.

Side effects from meds are heavy sometimes.

What to do?

I am angry at the world. I know it's immature.

I want to have a positive attitude. Maybe it's just not possible for me. I still refuse to accept my fate sometimes.

Still feel lost in life.

Maybe things will improve.

L

LokiPokey75

Hi shanti!

I can understand having a tough time in the job department. I graduated college in 2016 with a degree in English. Try finding a practical job with a degree in English! I was unemployed for awhile, and only had temporary jobs for a few years, plus an on-going, low-paying blogging job. Finally, in June 2019, I got a part-time job working at a bookstore where I'd worked as a temp the year before. Since the lockdown, I have not been back to work. I'm only doing okay because I live at home, but it does bother me that the company doesn't keep in touch.

Regardless of my experiences, I feel like there's nothing I'm ever really going to enjoy doing, other than writing (which is almost impossible to become successful at!) I want a job where I can interact with people and not online, but it's hard finding work as you know. I constantly feel like my options are limited.

This feeling that we're never going to find what we want to do and that we're lazy makes the situation harder to handle. I'm sure you're depressed because you don't like what you do and you feel stuck. I'm not the kind of person to say "Do something." I'm the kind of person to say "Think something." You are not technically stuck though it may seem like that. You're just angry, frustrated, and unsatisfied. You can change your job if you want, but have you given this one enough of a chance?

If you really don't like it, then there's no point staying. Move in with relatives if you have to, but don't stay at a job you can't stand. It'll only make your suffering worse.

You can enjoy your job to some degree if you want to. That means finding ways to appreciate its positive attributes. It most likely won't be forever, so try to enjoy it while you have it. At least you're getting paid, right?

I would hate to do online work and if that's what you're doing, I feel sorry for you. If I was in your position, I'd probably hate it too. I like simple work, not multi-tasking or anything too overwhelming. That's why it's been a challenge for me finding a good fit. But I have the support of my parents and I'm not currently in debt which is a start.

Take some time to think about what you really want to do. Look up some jobs online that might be similar. If anything, this would be good experience on your resume.

I don't have the answer for this one unfortunately. All I can recommend is that you self-reflect to determine why you feel depressed and what you can do to change it.

I wish you all the best, shanti. Good luck with your new jobs!

Last edited by a moderator:
S

shanti

Thank you LokiPokey75. I guess there are some positives. It's great that i'm getting paid and can chip away at my debt. It also means I can afford to buy better gadgets! (Not to promote consumerism)

I do need to explore different things to find what fits me. I'm still not sure what I want to do.

I think I give some thoughts too much power. Sometimes, i'll speak to one of my internet friends and feel a lot better afterwards.

Distractions can be helpful.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi Shanti,
It must be hard working, I can't work anymore. The tiredness etc from drugs is hard.
It's great your training to be a software engineer, good luck.
We all have tough days when working, I know I used to.
Have fun on your gadgets you deserve to.
Do you see a CPN and psychiatrist regularly? Have you told them how low your feeling?
Do you have a crisis team? Phone them when your feeling suicidal.
Some links that may help you and others.

Hugs

K

karl7

I am working from home in customer service. I started this job in May. It's the longest i've held a job.

I feel like quitting most days.

I have another job starting in September. It's a software engineering job. They will train me to write code.

I feel kind of depressed and want to end it sometimes. I feel sad that I have never been in a relationship and never will.

Side effects from meds are heavy sometimes.

What to do?

I am angry at the world. I know it's immature.

I want to have a positive attitude. Maybe it's just not possible for me. I still refuse to accept my fate sometimes.

Still feel lost in life.

Maybe things will improve.
hi shanti....i relate......ive never been i n a relationship either, i havent even ever had sex, but it try to forget about that.....i try to distract mtyself with other things.....shanti, are you seeing a psychiatrist or therpaist.....i think they may be able to help you.....look in to it