• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Feedback form after therapy session

StillFighting

StillFighting

My new therapist, she asks me to fill in a feedback form at the end of each session.

It has 4 questions I think:
"Did you feel understood/heard/supported"
"Did you like/agree with the therapist's approach"
"Did you talk about everything you wanted to talk in this session"
"Was there anything missing from the session today"

I don't have to write down an answer, but rate how much each one is true in a scale.

I realize that this is a tool for her, possibly to discuss things and make adjustments if needed? But for some reason, it makes me feel very uncomfortable and like I am put on the spot.

I feel bad to rate something negatively, when she is there, in front of me. Which may sound a bit stupid. I think I instinctively rate everything as good, just to be done with it, because I'm so nervous.

I tried telling her that it's difficult for me to fill in these, but she said something in the lines of "It's standard practice, it's something for me".

StillFighting

StillFighting

Ok, as I wrote down the above, and now re-read it, I can see my problem...

When I feel bad about a session, I'm scared to say so.
When I am unsure, I don't want to fill in the form because I don't know what the truth of my answer is yet; and I don't want to give a wrong answer (--> perfectionist).

Sorry, maybe I should have posted this in my journal instead.

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I can see how you feel like that.

There might be something that you have psyched yourself up to talk about and then decided it wasn't the right time. Of course if you put that you might be asked loads of questions in the next session.

xxx

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
that is weird. i would feel well uncomfortable too.
like if i knew i was not gonna see her again i could maybe say something negative but you have to see her next week. so it seem pointless to me.

StillFighting

StillFighting

Thanks for the replies. I *think* it makes me uncomfortable because:

- I have to do it at the end of the session, right before I leave. So, if there is something "bad" or troubling me, that I do want to talk about, I can't. I just have to fill in the form, with a rating, and no opportunity to say anything at all, and think it over all by myself.
- Then yeah, maybe there's something I might not be ready to talk about, and I'm afraid of possible questions in the next session, that I might not want to answer.

I think I might write down some things for the next session, and show them. It's the beginning, only one month, but I've started feeling very uncomfortable again. :(

I've had to hear in some of the last sessions again about how I *need to* do certain things. "I *need to* look into my negative thoughts". "I *need to* do sandplay". All this, triggers me so much and reminds me of my last therapist, and how he told me that "I need to learn how to talk".

This is making me feel unsafe and uncomfortable. Seems like everyone has their own fucking model in their mind, and an opinion of what I need to do. No one asks me, or tries to figure this out with me; but I feel like they impose their way on me.

I can't work or trust like that.

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

No i wouldnt be able to do therapy like that either. What kind of therapy is it. I have person centred counselling which is client led

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Hey, sorry i've only just seen this thread.
I completely understand how this form has made you feel uncomfortable. :(

Am I right assuming this is a private therapist?
I wonder if this feedback form is more to do with the regulations of being registered as a therapist than anything else. Not that that would make it any better, of course.

I have a massive trigger around being told *I need to* do anything.
It is incredibly arrogant, particularly as this therapist hasn't even got to know you that well! Even if she did know you, I still don't think it's ever acceptable to tell someone they 'need' to do anything because for me, it shows an attitude of "I know best". It's undermining your own intuition and feelings.. yeah, sorry i'll stop the rant - but I totally hear you.

The way i've got around this is to see a counsellor. I think mine is person-centred too, like ScaredCat.
Because i've got such issues around not being heard and feeling it's unsafe to express myself, the counselling environment is so much more supportive than a therapist ever would be.
I've always felt a therapist will deliberately push your buttons in hopes of some breakthrough, whereas a counsellor will validate and support you.

Just my thoughts.. and I can imagine this must feel really disheartening considering you've already had to find a new therapist after your last one was so unhelpful.
But please don't give up.. Sometimes people simply don't get on with therapy and need a different approach. :hug:

StillFighting

StillFighting

Thank you both so much :hug:

To answer your question: I am seeing now 2 therapists (1 works under the supervision of the other). One of them is specialized in CBT, and the other one in sandplay and EMDR. I haven't actually started CBT or sandplay, it's been mostly talking about my past and current issues so far, since I'm a new patient. I can feel a bit of a pressure though :/

SS, I am not even sure what the differences between therapy and counselling are. I'll take a look online maybe.

The main reason I am seeing a therapist, is because of insurance coverage. I don't live in the UK; and here, the health insurance will cover (almost) all of the costs in case of a serious mental health problem, if you see a psychotherapist, psychologist or psychiatrist. I don't even know if there are counsellors, and if so, what they do exactly.

I have to say... I think I do need validation and support at this time more than anything else. I have been such a mess the last few months, I'm nowhere near ready for something like CBT for example. I need to speak. I need someone to hear me, and understand me, and support me in my efforts.

I am not even sure if this is what therapy is (or could be) about, and I feel scared to even ask them (the therapists).