Feathers

Living dead

Living dead

I've been afraid of bird feathers for as long as I can remember and nobody knows when it started.When I was little I panicked at sight of a feather and I got teased for it all the time.My father tried to desensitize me by making me hold a feather and I did it few times with small white ones only, not sure if it helped much.Now I'm still afraid, but I don't really panic and it doesn't show much on the outside, and I usually tell people I'm afraid of birds if they notice I'm acting weird or I say that it's filthy if it's just a flying feather.
Anyone similar? And do you know what could be the cause?And it's not that I have any rationalisations in my mind, I just find feathers disgusting, especially big ones.I can't understand how others don't see it.

Last edited:
RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

Hey

No I don't have this fear BUT phobias are horrible I have many phobias and they aren't funny

Sending hugs xx

T

TheMissingSock

Hello,
i have a phobia of feathers. Birds in generally too. I don't mind any other flying animals or else tho. I can't stand looking or touching feathers. I get panic attacks. People considered it a joke and chased me holding feathers. I don't have to mention this didn't help much. I think the cause of mine was a traumatic experience i had when i was about 4 or 5, as stupid as it sounds, a bird attack. It's hard being afraid of even pigeons because they're like everywhere in city. It doesn't seem that uncommon tho.. i even know other people in my life who feel the same. But birds suck, they carry many diseases and poop on people's cars jaja. So i don't really want to love them either.

Living dead

Living dead

I never thought I was gonna find another one like me.It's quite comforting.
Anyway, I'm way better than I was as a kid, but I still hate pigeons and ladies who feed them and I can't find a nice winter jacket because they are all filled with down.I can't even touch them to check, LOL.I feel so stupid sometimes, but then I remember that more common phobias are just as irrational as "weird" ones.

B

basingstokegirl123

I have never been so happy as I was reading your post! I thought I was the only person with a phobia of feathers. Like you I don't know why it started. My earliest memory was on a beach when I was three and my mum noticed that I was avoiding going near the seagull feathers. My Dad throw one to me (which now he realises didn't help) and I screamed blue murder. School was horrendous, when I showed fear at the nature table.. it wasn't long till everyone knew I was scared of the massive pheasant feather.. I was chased round the classroom with even the teacher laughing. I ran home from school. I won't bore you with anymore stories.
I agree with you that feathers (in my opinion) are ugly
and disgusting and can't see how no one else can see it. Have you tried CBT? I did for a while and it did help a bit, but you have to keep going which I didn't do as I knew the feathers I would have to hold would be bigger. I'm interested to know has the phobia stopped you doing things or going places you would have liked. I look forward to hearing from you.