• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Fears about daughter's eating

S

sweet_goodnight

Hi,

My daughter has had an unusual attitude towards food since she was 11 however in the past year (she is now 17) it seems to have become far worse. I was diagnosed with bipolar this year after suffering a severe mental breakdown and I have watched my daughter drop from 9 and a half stone to 8 stone 3lbs, she is 5 foot 9.
My main query to those who have perhaps been in my situation is, is her weight now a serious worry? And if so, where do I go from here?

Thanks for all your help.

W

Westman

Hi,
I can really feel for you as I am in a similar position with my stepdaughter, now 24. I wish there was an easy answer but unfortunately not.

I have found the weight/height comparison charts conflicting and only use them as a rough guide, the fact that you have made this post shows that this has already become a serious worry to yourself, does your daughter look underweight?

What do you mean by "an unusual attitude towards food" ?

Have you looked at the Eating Disorders Forum, I have found a wealth of information just by reading through the old posts.

S

sweet_goodnight

In terms of unusual attitudes she's always lost her appetite when upset but this time it has escalated. (As far as I can make out) she eats a maximum of 700 calories a day, and is obsessive with exercise meaning she has to go for a long run or swim every day. She hates eating in front of people and if she is offered food out of her planned times (mostly meals) then she visibly panics. She refuses to eat things that could have high calories and is obsessive about watching meals being prepared in the kitchens. When asking her to eat a little more it results in tears and her pleading saying she just can't but she doesn't know why.

She obviously looks underweight to me since I am used to seeing her with more meat at her bones (her weight used to fluctuate between 9 and 9 1/2 stone) however she does not yet look emaciated, just incredibly slim. I know her BMI is too low, but I am afraid if I take her to the GP then I will either lose her to a psychiatric unit or they will not listen to my views.

But thank you for the tip about the Eating Disorder forums, I shall have a look now.

C

Clementina

Yes, her weight is something to definitely worry about.

She may have something physically wrong with her, where she can't help it when she loses a bunch of weight, or forces herself to throw up.

She may have an eating disorder though.

Take her to a mental health professional, and physical doctor.

C

Clementina

In terms of unusual attitudes she's always lost her appetite when upset but this time it has escalated. (As far as I can make out) she eats a maximum of 700 calories a day, and is obsessive with exercise meaning she has to go for a long run or swim every day. She hates eating in front of people and if she is offered food out of her planned times (mostly meals) then she visibly panics. She refuses to eat things that could have high calories and is obsessive about watching meals being prepared in the kitchens. When asking her to eat a little more it results in tears and her pleading saying she just can't but she doesn't know why.

She obviously looks underweight to me since I am used to seeing her with more meat at her bones (her weight used to fluctuate between 9 and 9 1/2 stone) however she does not yet look emaciated, just incredibly slim. I know her BMI is too low, but I am afraid if I take her to the GP then I will either lose her to a psychiatric unit or they will not listen to my views.

But thank you for the tip about the Eating Disorder forums, I shall have a look now.
Most asylums are not mean places.
Long, ago lots of them were though, due to lack of science which led people to believe that whipping, and certain cruel treatments would make evil spirits leave someone's insides, and then the person would no longer be mentally disordered.

Asylum is another word for psychiatric unit, in case you were unaware.