• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Fearne Cotton proana documentary

I

iheartpandas20

Hello all! Ive just watched about half of a documentary by Fearne Cotton about proana websites. Very interesting! As an ex proana addict, id usually have groaned and expected it to say 'proana websites are evil, shut them all down' as most reports do. While i am now fully against pro ana, it was great to see someone look deeper into the reasons why people use these websites, and suggest using helpful recovery websites instead, and ways to help combat the problem!

Also, as in my ill days i used fearne cotton for 'thinspo' it was darkly funny to see her horror at finding herself on these websites!

Excellent documentary, well worth a watch when it hits youtube/the stv website/etc!

D

DIZZY

Admiration

I never realised that my odd eating habits were anything to worry about until I saw this. Seeing how Fearnes mental state changed after just one day of "eating lite" made me realise that my lengthy battle with depression through the years has been pointless, because I eat lite for a few days then stop for a few and when i feel thinner and cant take any more I binge. My weight isnt the issue, nor is looking thin, its a control thing, and I thought it was getting me somewhere in controlling my fractured life.

I saw my mental state :eek:in Fearnes eyes, she did it short term, but ive been doing this for years, no wonder my minds always re-booting or shutting down.

So where next? I suppose I might get somewhere if i mention it in my next CBT session, and ive already been told how important eating well is for Citalopram/Haliperidol to work .. but im not sure i can admit to it, its been my way of coping with sum pretty tough things in my life, I dont know if I can change..:confused:

I

iheartpandas20

hope

Hey, yeah i loved watching it!. it can be such a vicious circle. The less we eat the worse we feel, and the worse we feel the more we need to control our food!

I think mentioning it sounds like a good idea, theyll be able to advise and support you.

While i still have an eating disorder, ive come so far and got so much better than i ever thought was possible. You've just got to keep trying and accept its not going to be easy, but people do recover and so can you! CBT will help with developing coping mechanisms that will help to let the eating disorder go.

Stay smiling :)

Pandas

relieving_addiction

relieving_addiction

I watched it too... When it was aired I was at a stage in my life where I was a bit strange with food... and the pro-ana websites which were shown were exactly the ones which I was currently obsessed with, spending every waking minute on there.
I was angry at first with the documentary, like it was probing too far, especially as I knew my mum was watching it in another room, too.
Thankfully nothing was mentioned as I did nothing which would attract attention. But inside I was crying. Especially after one of the websites (which I wasn't a member but had applied to be a member months proir) became private and only viewable to members. I literally cried at that and felt so lost.
But in a way I feel glad about it. I'm mostly over the eating issues, and I remember how down and lonely I felt back then, I'm kind of glad to be out. Which I don't think I'd have been able to do had the site remained public.
I don't know, and I guess I never will...

S

*Sapphire*

Especially after one of the websites (which I wasn't a member but had applied to be a member months proir) became private and only viewable to members. I literally cried at that and felt so lost.
But in a way I feel glad about it. I'm mostly over the eating issues, and I remember how down and lonely I felt back then, I'm kind of glad to be out. Which I don't think I'd have been able to do had the site remained public.
I don't know, and I guess I never will...
I'm glad for you. Having suffered at the hands of an ED for many many years myself, I actually fail to see what 'help' these sites have to offer.

In my opinon they are full of people that want support for something that is actually damaging themselves and possibly their friends and family, therefore provides a community that is actually not supportive of health. Who would want to associate with people that are not supportive of their own and others good physical health and mental health well being? But totally the opposite?

Their arguments about providing an 'understanding community' did not bare under the weight of their forums and chat rooms where the discussions were littered with hints and tips about 'how to lose weight quickly', 'how to fool the doctors and your family', and even to my disgust, 'how to purge' or 'fool a blood pressure machine'. Who knows how many deaths or serious illness these so called hints and tips could be responsible for. It is sickening.

The worst thing is these websites are prey to vulnerable and desperate persons with a serious mental illness, and in my opinon are no better than someone offering a drink to a vulnerable alcoholic, or some drugs to a vulnerable narcotics addict.