• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Fear of water

A

amy1990

Hi,

I am totally new to the forum. Joined as I would like some ideas please...

I am 19...and due to trauma (CA) I hate water... I do not drink plain water and hate drinking fluids in general, I use baby wipes instead of bathing/showering etc....Don't even like walking in the rain.

I have been struggling to drink much the last few days, due to a hallucination I had a week ago, that has scared me and being playing on my mind.

I am at the point where I can not drink any fluids at the moment. I told my care coordinator today...She asked a few questions... Obviously there are no solutions to give, but she didn't say much about it. Thing is I am beginning to feel unwell.

As it is the weekend, I will try my best to keep myself as hydrated as possible till monday then seek more help.

But what do you think an outpatient community team would/should do in response to this...Any ideas what I may be presented with if I cannot manage to maintain a sufficient fluid intake for the long term....What do people think their answers would be.

I am just so scared, I don't want to make myself ill. I am scared they will think I am doing it purposely, but I am so wound up about it now it is making it even harder to drink.

Please help :cry:

Thank you in advance

Amy x x

S

*Sapphire*

Hi Amy

And :welcome: to the forum.

What does CA mean?
What is it about water that you don't like? Why is it so scary to you?
Why did you hallucinate last week?

I apologise for the many questions.

I wonder if seeking help for your trauma might be the way forward to recovering from your phobia. You can pursue this privately or through the NHS.

In the meantime I would try to eat foods that contain alot of water if you can not drink at all. And try to avoid foods that absorbs alot of water and alcohol (which is dehydrating). If you can take a look on the net for the foods that contain alot of water, but don't if you feel it is going to extend your phobia further to avoiding certain foods.

However really you do need to try and drink something, can you not disguise the fluids at all? If you do not get sufficient fluids, you may have to be rehydrated through a drip. Any mental health issues/treatment would come secondary to that if you are in danger of dying through being dehydrated.

I hope you get through the weekend okay.
Take good care of yourself.

A

amy1990

CA is child abuse. Someone tried to drown me as a child. I have flasbacks ad nightmares about it still. The hallucinnation was as a results of a sleeping tablet OD.

I am eating fruit and watery things and I am trying to drink. It is hard to disguise fluids though for me as it is the swallowing and having it in my mouth which is the hardest part.

I am hoping to pursue therapy regarding the trauma but have had therapy for two years as an inpatient been in hospital foe two years. But I am on a therapy break at the moment.

Will try my best this weekend just don't want to end up on an IV as will need to be in hospital for that... Not what I want. I just can't seem to do it right now.

Thanks so much for your help

x x x

Hope your okay :)

S

*Sapphire*

Hi Amy

I'm so sorry about your trauma, that must have been horrendous for you.

If you are still suffering with flashbacks you might be suffering with PTSD. I have had it, and I want you to know that it is possible to recover. For me it was time, time to process my thoughts and memories and also in confronting them.

I also use a skill called mindfulness to help with it all. If you want to have a look at my journal, you can see that it has really helped me recently in times of crisis. There is alot about mindfulness on the web too.

Are you in hospital at the moment? Or having a break from there too?

Yes I am okay thanks :)

A

amy1990

Hi,

I am not in hospital. Discharged three weeks ago, after two years as inpatient !!! :(

Am having a therapy break, till December then trying something new. Have done DBT (including mindfullness) I don't find it helpful, as I can't really use it effectively I need more practice.

I have PTSD as a diagnosis, DID, Bipolar and RAD.

I am just worried they will want to tube me, as thats what they did on my adolescent unit!!??

Doing a bit better today though, had a bit of coffee :)

x x x x Hope your all well x x x x x

A

Ainsworth

im RAD too!

i nearly drowned at 17, i dont experience the fear like you but i hate having any water on my head, it took me 17 years to get into a swimming pool and the sea is frightening.

:welcome:

J

jamesdean

I havent read yourpost but Ihad a fear of the running water in the bathroom for along time but didnt understand it @ all but then it was cured one day once I realised whot it was though I cannot drink water from the tap without squosh.