• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

fear of vomit and a big fear of clowns..

N

noodlepixie

1 my fear of vomit ive had since i was little i can't stand it and would either runaway or sit with my hands clamped to my head humming.... im so terrified of it its stupid i have children and i can't cope when they're poorly ....:scared:

2 fear of clowns, will not go to a circus, won't watch IT (too scarey i did once not my idea someone thought it would help me with my fear, i had nightmares for 6 wks and could walk near drains incase he was there) if someone is dressed as a clown i would cross over to avoid and not look...:scared:

D

Dollit

Two of the most common phobias. I don't have the vomit one but certainly the clown one. I screamed the circus down when I was 5 when the clowns came on. And balloons, seriously freaky about balloons.

N

noodlepixie

thank goodness im not the only one... it doesn't feel like its common phobias to have...

O

olan

too sad. but i know you can stand on you fear. many people struggling for their fears and now their overcame it because they'd face it until it almost killed them. hope you do the same way to.

W

weechatterbox

i have a HUGE fear of vomiting.
i have been given counselling for it but it never worked.
i'd do ANYTHING to avoid being sick. anything.
i can't leave the house without my anti-sickness pills. i can't eat out. sometimes i call in sick to work when OTHER people are ill cos i'm scared of catching it.
i wear gloves from october to april to avoid touching door handles etc which might carry germs.
and today i gave myself a full scale panic attack cos my son said he felt sick.
you are definitely NOT alone.
x

L

Littlebit Sally

vomit fears- can now watch "family guy"

That cartoon has vomit in it all the time and I used to be very scared of it. I now can watch it once in a while since I realize more and more that it is just a cartoon. I am new here by the way... I never got over a kid throwing up next to me when I was about 7 years old. I completely understand and until I read this forum did not realize that other people had the fear that i have so strong. Most people find vomit disgusting but I pass out if I feel sick and I panic. I also seem to. I won't go to parties and I am afraid of drunk people because they could vomit at a moment's notice. The fear has gotten better, but then I haven't seen it for a very long time....

Nooma42

Nooma42

Hello,

I'm new here too!

I've had a vomit phobia ever since I was about 7 or 8 (I'm 28 now). It's ruled my life. Like the other poster I carry ant-sickness pills everywhere and now have an addiction to anti bacterial hand wash.

It's funny because I rarely get physically sick. The last time was a couple of years ago (and that was the first time in about 17 years) after a bad reaction to some antibiotics. At the time it happened out of nowhere so I had no time to panic. Then after the event I remember thinking "well that wasn't so bad, I dont know why I was so bothered". But as time has gone on the phobia has crept back in and got worse.

I started CBT three weeks ago as I realised I needed help. Its early days but its really helped being able to talk about it.

L

Littlebit Sally

I have the extreme fear but I'm kindof a homebody and haven't been exposed to vomit in many many years but like you seeing it on TV makes me cringe you know? I think it's wonderful that this forum has so many subforums that address every possible mental illness a human being could have... They should make a forum for parents of pets... I try to figure out what our dog is so distressed over and can never quite figure out why he whines so much.

We have a slew of animals that all live in our two bedroom home (2 gerbils, two guinea pigs and 5 ferrets and a mini dachshund) and for some strange reason, I am not at all afraid of vomit coming from my pets- I baby them and help them but with people it is terrifying to me!

Nooma42

Nooma42

I have the extreme fear but I'm kindof a homebody and haven't been exposed to vomit in many many years but like you seeing it on TV makes me cringe you know? I think it's wonderful that this forum has so many subforums that address every possible mental illness a human being could have... They should make a forum for parents of pets... I try to figure out what our dog is so distressed over and can never quite figure out why he whines so much.

We have a slew of animals that all live in our two bedroom home (2 gerbils, two guinea pigs and 5 ferrets and a mini dachshund) and for some strange reason, I am not at all afraid of vomit coming from my pets- I baby them and help them but with people it is terrifying to me!
I am exactly the same with my dog. I have an eight-year-old westie who is like my baby and I can deal with his sickness without a problem.

I think it did not help that when I was growing up my younger sister was always vomiting... like every other week. Often at night when we shared a room. She still vomited every few weeks up until a year ago when she was diagnosed with coeliacs disease.
But I still remember waking up and being unable to move at the thought of seeing/hearing her be sick. Plus my mum would make such a big fuss about it, especially if either of us were sick in bed. I guess thats where my phobia stems from.

L

Littlebit Sally

I see why you are so terrifed of it. YOu were bombarded with vomit! HOw torturous! I couldn't live with the same family!.. I'm serious. I have had trouble using the bathroom when I know someone has just thrown up in it. One time my mother was very sick and I stayed away from the bathroom and would actually either cover the seat with toilet paper or go somewhere else to use the bathroom. It's like I thought the vomit was going to come get me...:unsure: This avoidance went on for a couple weeks and even when the bathroom had been cleaned with bleach even... Oh it was terrible and silly in a way. totally unrealistic even after the cleaning. I have gotten better with my phobia but of course like I said, I haven't witnessed someone sick in a very long time...Knock on wood!:)

Greenwings77

Greenwings77

I too have a fear of vomit, i share a room with my sister and she used to be a hyper-condriact and say she felt sick pretty much every night (when we were younger) and she'd go to bed with the bucket, whilst i tryed to get to sleep with my hands over my ears thinking she could be sick any moment. I would shake everytime someone was sick and i'd want to be as far away as possible. When my friends get sick from drinking now i can't be anywhere near them and i feel like a bad friend but i literally stand away from them with my hands over my ears, whilst humming or talking loudly.
I hate it so much, i won't drink lots like my friends do when we're out because im scared i'll be sick...
So you're not alone on that one!

Kelly :hug:

bulbie

bulbie

Got a massive fear of vomiting. I will do anything to avoid being sick, including forcing it back down when I know it's coming. And if someone is being sick near me, I too will clap my hands right over my ears, screw up my eyes really tight, try not to breathe so I don't smell it, and hum loudly, or say really loudly over and over again omg they're gonna be sick they're gonna be sick. Anything to avoid it. I've got an unnatural obsession with washing my hands as a result, and antibacterial hand gel. Can't leave without it. Will very rarely eat out unless I know and trust the place for fear of them putting something in my food that will trigger my allergies, or for fear they have poor hygiene practices that will get me sick. It absolutely rules my life.

I also have the fear of clowns, though not so bad these days, since I recently made myself watch IT, and I wasn't too bad. I think it's because I didn't get to see too much of Pennywise being evil, it was more focusing on the relationship between the friends...

And the balloons thing? MAJORLY freaky about those. They send me into major panic mode. I cannot bear being in a public place then a kid appears with a balloon. Just them holding it makes me want to scream and bolt to the hills, every part of me is panicking. But when they start trying to eat it, or squeeze it til it bursts, I can't handle that at all. I just inch further and further away if I can't run. I was at the doctor's a few weeks ago and there was a balloon on the floor. So I though ok, I'm the only one here, I'll just sit way away from it. So I did, and sat there staring at it, willing it to just stay still. Then a mum came in with her kids and she gave the balloon to her older child who promptly started squeezing it and biting it to see if it would burst. I cannot tell you how relieved I was when the doctor called out for me! :scared:

piglet

piglet

I'm so glad I found this thread. I have only spoken to one other person who suffers from emotophobia and she wasn't that bad. I can't be anywhere near someone who is being sick, I ether run away (I nearly broke my ankle once coz I ran so fast out of a caravan) or put my hands over my ears and repeat loudly "It'll be over soon, it'll be over soon". I don't like to eat in public coz I am scares the food won't agree with me and I will be sick or that someone else will be and if I'm ill I refuse to eat just in case which has caused me to loose a lot of weight. I don't like going to pubs or clubs or even walking past then at night. I hate travelling and constantly suck ginger when I do and I take pills 3 times a day in case I feel sick.

I always thought it started when I was about 11 and I got a 48 hour stomach bug but my dad has told me he noticed me freak out at the age of 4 so I think it might have deeper roots than that.

ally41

ally41

I have it too, wow it's really common isn't it? AND I have always hated clowns - so what's that about then, are they related in some way? I was abused as a child, I always assumed that's why I don't like clowns or punch and judy men - I feel like they have another agenda, why would an adult behave that way? I thought that as a child too, no other adults behaved like children so it felt creepy to me. As for the sick thing, I'm mostly terrified about being sick myself, I carry sick bags everywhere and steal them off planes every time I go on one, people don't half look at me funny when I ask if I can have their sick bag!! I also actively avoid people who are likely to be sick, like drinkers - I don't go to pubs or walk the streets at night when there are drunk people about and I always stay in on public holidays like new year. I also veer away from crying children, having had 3 myself, the "I'm going to be sick" cry is very distinctive and I will literally run away if I hear it.

But strangely I have managed to overcome this phobia when I studied to become a midwife - I really wanted to do it all my life but never did because I didn't want to deal with sick, but eventually the desire to do it overcame the phobia and I was fine with it - it happened almost every shift (women in labour vomit a lot) and there was only one time when I found it a bit challenging, otherwise I dealt with it with no problems - weird huh?

So how many of you were abused or subjected to or witnessed violence or extreme anger a s a child? Just interested to know if there's a link.

piglet

piglet

I was sexually and mentally abused from a very early age, my dad thinks that this might have been the start of my phobias as he remembers me being OK up until that point.