• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Fear of smelling

B

BornGone

I shower every day, put on Deodorant and always wear new clothing.
Still I think that I smell. Or I believe that the people say that I smell.
So far no one has changed seats or anything like it when I am near but I still think that I smell of something bad.

Is this an anxiety thing or should I be worried that I smell of something?

bpd2020

bpd2020

It sounds like anxiety. You are practising good hygiene so you will only smell fresh and nice.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
I agree it sounds like anxiety, you are taking good care of yourself so will smell clean.
Has anything triggered this?

B

BornGone

Hi,
I agree it sounds like anxiety, you are taking good care of yourself so will smell clean.
Has anything triggered this?
I dont know. My anxiety has just gotten worse and I suddenly started to worry about how I smell.

Scapes1986

Scapes1986

Ive had this. For along time. Not much to say besides it was anxiety.

B

BornGone

Ive had this. For along time. Not much to say besides it was anxiety.
I hope it won't stay for too long. It is pretty nerve wracking.
How did it go away? Did you do somthing different?

Scapes1986

Scapes1986

I hope it won't stay for too long. It is pretty nerve wracking.
How did it go away? Did you do somthing different?
Yes I realized even if I did smell it didn’t matter. I was still healthy and had a good social life. So I put my best face on and went to work and school despite how I felt. With time “wala” it got better.
❤

B

BornGone

Yes I realized even if I did smell it didn’t matter. I was still healthy and had a good social life. So I put my best face on and went to work and school despite how I felt. With time “wala” it got better.
❤
Hopfully it will be the same for me!

maggie0123

maggie0123

I totally relate to you on this. it was really terrible for me particularly last year, i was in my second year of university and my obsessive habits took so much of my time. I would shower twice a day, at exactly the same time and would beat myself up if i did not follow my routine, I would wake up around 5am, take a cold shower, put on clothes I prepared, put perfume, deodorant and make sure I feel fresh, but I still worry excessively if I smell bad, including my breath that I would constantly chew gum. and at night i would shower again, just to make sure I dont smell or the stink doesnt stay with me.

B

BornGone

I totally relate to you on this. it was really terrible for me particularly last year, i was in my second year of university and my obsessive habits took so much of my time. I would shower twice a day, at exactly the same time and would beat myself up if i did not follow my routine, I would wake up around 5am, take a cold shower, put on clothes I prepared, put perfume, deodorant and make sure I feel fresh, but I still worry excessively if I smell bad, including my breath that I would constantly chew gum. and at night i would shower again, just to make sure I dont smell or the stink doesnt stay with me.
I bought perfume last year and I have chewing gum on me at all times.
But I think having to much nice smells on you could also smell. Or at least a lot of people don't like the smell of deos or perfume( when someone used to much of it).

K

Keesha

I dont know. My anxiety has just gotten worse and I suddenly started to worry about how I smell.
There is a disorder called trimethylaninuria which is a metabolic disorder you might wish to look up.