• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Fear of past coming back

J

Jxsmine_eh

Hi there.

I really need help with this one. I’m in a super supportive loving relationship with my current partner. I love him so much and there is no one else I want to be with - he’s my soulmate.

but I keep thinking about my ex from two years ago. Not because I want to be with him. I hate his guts and it was such an unhealthy relationship. But I’m super scared I’m gonna wake up one day and be back with him. I know it’s irrational but it’s such a Real fear. I don’t know what to do or why this is happening?

Z

Zoe1

I think alot of people find themselves in that situation
including myself
I think because sometimes we are drawn to people and situations
that mimic people from our past , that are familiar

which locks into our old ways of doing things

:grouphug: 🐢🎼💜

J

Jxsmine_eh

I think alot of people find themselves in that situation
including myself
I think because sometimes we are drawn to people and situations
that mimic people from our past , that are familiar

which locks into our old ways of doing things

:grouphug: 🐢🎼💜
Would you mind explaining a bit more?

Z

Zoe1

k I dont know I will try

ive been in and out of therapy for about 30 years
and it turns out
that some of my more traumatic relationships
I was with someone that reminded me of a family member
not always but in some of them

and I would be behaving in a way
that I'm used to that would please that family member
I'm probably still doing that

J

Jxsmine_eh

That makes sense.

not sure if that answers my specific worry but it was helpful thank you

JessisMe

JessisMe

Hi there.

I really need help with this one. I’m in a super supportive loving relationship with my current partner. I love him so much and there is no one else I want to be with - he’s my soulmate.

but I keep thinking about my ex from two years ago. Not because I want to be with him. I hate his guts and it was such an unhealthy relationship. But I’m super scared I’m gonna wake up one day and be back with him. I know it’s irrational but it’s such a Real fear. I don’t know what to do or why this is happening?
It really sucks that memories of your ex are seeping into your relationship with your new partner. Maybe you should write down some reasons you will never get back with your ex and when you start to ruminate over him and the possibility of returning to him you could read and review them for reassurance. Also have you shared this fear with your partner? By telling him he might be able to help you get grounded with reality checks too.... :hug:

J

Jxsmine_eh

I have. He always reassures me and makes me feel better. I just have a huge guilt over it even though I know I’m just paranoid