• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Fear of open heights

pjb15201

pjb15201

Is there another way to deal with open height other than desensitization ?

Wishbone

Wishbone

Not that I know of. Is it a problem for you that you need resolving or would just prefer to be resolved so you could go on rollercoasters or what have you?

pjb15201

pjb15201

I have always suffered from it. Can't deal with city steps, overlooks, escalators. I tend to minimize direct contact

Wishbone

Wishbone

I hate heights. As a kid I had a tree in my garden that was taller than the house and I used to regularly climb to the top of it; no problems at all. For some reason as I got older I developed not only a respect for heights, but a fear of them. What changed? I didn't appreciate I could fall as a kid, but as an adult I do, and I know what it could do. But a lot of it is in your head, catastrophising the situation: "The lift could fall" or "The barriers could give way if I leaned over them", and so on. This is when you need to remind yourself that these things were designed against and the chances of them ever happening are miniscule. So we need to challenge the thoughts we are thinking and keep ourselves in the here and now.

Have a look here for more: Self Help for Phobias