• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Fear of not being able to swallow

D

Dgjn12345

Hello all, just thought I’d see if anyone has had a similar thing that has plagued me for the last 10 years!

I occasionally get very focused on the urge to swallow, and not when eating or drinking. It’s almost like I feel I can’t take a breath until I have completed a swallow. Now, this comes and goes and it certainly A lot worse with a hangover, so I’m fairly sure it’s anxiety! The bigger problem now is that I’ve recently started running. This is compounding the problem as, when I feel the need to swallow, I will focus on that and basically not breathe until I’ve managed a swallow, which is very uncomfortable and panic raising when out of breath.

Has anyone else experienced similar symptoms; a google search also pointed towards OCD...

It’s alleviated if I have a bottle of water to hand, as the fear of not being able to swallow fades, then I don’t try to swallow. The issue here is that I have become very dependent on always having a bottle of water to hand - stopping me carrying out certain activities.

Appreciate any advice or experience in this matter. It’s already affected my left and career in so many ways, I would like to beat it before much longer.

Lolaa12

Lolaa12

I occasionally get very focused on the urge to swallow, and not when eating or drinking. It’s almost like I feel I can’t take a breath until I have completed a swallow. Now, this comes and goes and it certainly A lot worse with a hangover, so I’m fairly sure it’s anxiety! The bigger problem now is that I’ve recently started running. This is compounding the problem as, when I feel the need to swallow, I will focus on that and basically not breathe until I’ve managed a swallow, which is very uncomfortable and panic raising when out of breath.

I can related to this, because I also experciens this and sometimes I still have it, normally I get very scared of it because I can’t swallow because I need to and I will be to focused on this, but normally when I focus on other things when I swallod it will normaly go away between a couple of minutes.

But your not alone, and mostly you get reactions and see like I’m really not alone with this problem, even if it feels sometimes like it.:grouphug: