• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Fear of making/receiving phone calls

C

coraline1664

Does anyone else here suffer from this? I have had it ever since I can remember. Sometimes I feel sick and scared just listening to my answerphone messages.

sallyG

sallyG

im exactly the same..i dont answer my phone unless its my mum ringing...i let all calls got oa nswerphone...and then panic when im listening to them..

C

coraline1664

-

:hug: it's a nightmare isn't it! I have a landlord that calls me about plumbing problems i am having in the flat... early in the morning :mad: about 7am so i get woken up, Now I just lie there shaking waiting for it to stop ringing and then turn my phone off... I deal with it later.... as best I can.

I try writing down what I need to say but it usually turns into a complete script because it feels safer. Then when I'm on the phone a question is asked that I'm not expected... and it all goes wrong!!

I try to go easy on myself, if I feel a bit calmer one day I will always take the opportunity to make a call that needs to be made then. I wish email could be used for business type calls more often!! It's annoying because I end up looking like I am not dealing with issues in the house etc and that I just can't be bothered, when the opposite is true.
I also find personal calls easier- from my partner and usually with my family.

I sometimes find some comfort after a call in rationalising the situation. Doing that regularly grounds me a little, even though it hardly ever reduces the actual anxiety at the time.

Good luck Sally, I completely empathize with you.
:clap: to many more successful phone calls...

Elizabeth x

emski

emski

I'm not liking using the phone at the moment because I am feeling anxious. I generally don't answer it at the moment and I panic if I see a withheld number calling or a number I don't know. If it's someone I know I just leave it and text them back and say I can't talk atm - it's ok if it's someone you know

raven

raven

Does anyone else here suffer from this? I have had it ever since I can remember. Sometimes I feel sick and scared just listening to my answerphone messages.
I'm exactly the same. I hate phone calls as I believe the person the other end is going to laugh at me. Or something like that. I hate the sound of a phone ringing. I can't even do phonecalls from friends and family without getting highly stressed.

raven

P

philmriv

This is a common one for social anxiety disorder (phone phobia, or at least phone anxiety). I used to have that too.

It sucks, because the phone is a pretty important thing.

There is a really great resource for that though-- (I use this myself), telephone conference call support groups for help in overcoming social anxiety problems.

**Plus you don't have to talk when you call in (it's OK to just listen). You can learn a lot that way (they share loads of self-help tips for dealing with phone phobia and also other kinds of social anxiety disorder, social phobia etc).

They are free, by the way (it's provided by the nonprofit organization, Social Anxiety Anonymous).

Last edited:
V

vox9117

I'm exactly the same. I hate phone calls as I believe the person the other end is going to laugh at me. Or something like that.
raven
That's exactly how I feel. I hate phones. My mom said she had the same issue, but then when she got a job answering phones, she just got over it. I still live at home, and while mom's understanding, both of my parents sort of take this "You'll outgrow it/learn how to deal" attitude. It's not helping.

My friends call me all the time, and I tell them over facebook or through a text that I can't talk on the phone or something... I tell them I'm in class or whatever, but it gets difficult because I get caught in lies and then people are angry at me. I have told a few people that I hate phones and don't want them to call me, which has worked with some of them. But most people either think I'm a liar and I'm sneaking something by them, or that I'm really rude. :unsure:

lal10

lal10

I'm totally the same with phones, can't cope with any type of official calls, answering or receiving, but can sometimes be fine with people I know, although that isn't always the case!

Does anyone else find opening mail, snail mail or email, a problem? I can't do that either and can't bring myself to send mail. Facebook is even too much at the moment, the only place I'm finding it easy to communicate with anyone is here so thanks guys for listening!!

Much love

Lal
xxx

T

thatonequietgirl

I know exactly how you feel. Almost each day before dinner, my mom tries to get me to call my dad to ask him when he'll be home (from work), and every time I just find an excuse as to why I can't. I always "forget" to bring my cell phone to places, so I won't have to deal with awkward calls. I hate it when we get a call and I'm hoping it's just a telemarketer I can ignore...and then it's one of my friends. It doesn't matter who is calling, I just can't stand phone calls.

D

dlzoidberg

I am ok with receiving calls, but not with making them.

S

satnin1981

I have this problem, too. I avoid making phone calls as much as I possibly can, and let all my calls go through to voicemail if anyone rings me, or let someone else answer the phone. I've been like this for years, but just lately my anxiety has been really getting worse!

2hoot39

Hi, I'm exactly the same hate it when the phone rings i cant even use my mobile phone and can only text someone if they have text me first, mind you i'm the same with the front door dread the doorbell ringing i hide upstairs unless it is someone i know.

sallyG

sallyG

Im the same with the front door..i dont answer it and hide..or one of the kids gets the door..i hate answering the phone and door too.it panics me immensly

C

coraline1664

Me too... a knock at the front door puts my heart in my mouth. Often I will sit frozen for 10 minutes until I know they will have definitely gone. Earlier I had an item I ordered that didn't fit through the post box- I felt sick, my mind was racing and I was shaking like hell when signing for it! It didn't even need that much packaging either!
The sad thing is that the only way to get better at it is to keep trying... but it's easier said than done! My problem is my anticipation and distortion of the situation, and my body's terrfying reaction rather than the actual event now!