Fear of Losing Everything I Own

InfiniteRectangles

InfiniteRectangles

So, I love to read. And I have A LOT of books. And those books are very important to me. I also have a bunch of sentimental junk (I'm a bit of a hoarder. I have trouble throwing stuff away). Anyway, sometimes I get this intense fear of losing all of that in a fire or a flood or something. When we have bad weather I panic, thinking that it will flood or a tornado will tear down my home. Before I go out I unplug everything and check to make sure the stove is off so the house won't burn down. But this fear is so intense that I actually have panic attacks at the thought of losing all of my stuff. I know I shouldn't get attached to material things, but I never had a lot growing up, and I feel like that's why I have so much trouble getting rid of stuff. Does anyone have any advice they can give me on how to deal with this? I haven't brought it up to my therapist yet but I'm planning to soon.

J

johnybgood

newbie says chuck a little to start then talk it over or about it.

When you accumulate stuff, it isn't healthy. So throw out an armload of stuff, to start. I used to have way too much stuff at my place and then I was going to move. But that extra stuff would be an extra burden to move, so by throwing out I didn't have the extra crowding at my new place. That's all I can say. I love books to and kept a few of them, I feel so outraged when I had to get rid of a few books because why would I get them in the first place, right?:mrgreen::panic::LOL:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Phobia Forum 10
H Phobia Forum 3
M Phobia Forum 6
Z Phobia Forum 49
cmjanuc Phobia Forum 6